Wellness > Sex + Relationships

3 Keys to Relationship Success from a Communication Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Over the last four years, I have taken a variety of classes in my communication major that have taught me invaluable tips on how to maintain and strengthen relationships with my family, friends, and romantic partners. Implement some of these, and you might become a more fulfilled person with improved relationships!

There is a Link Between Social Support & Physical Health 

There is a proven link between how much social support one receives and their overall health. The presence of social support can lead to decreased stress, lower depression rates, faster healing, and overall happiness. If you are the type of person who enjoys alone time, that’s perfectly fine. However, I would highly encourage you to reach out to friends and every so often, get that physical attention from someone else. Spend some time talking about your life. For those of you who have friends but don’t feel comfortable opening up, take a chance. You never know who will reciprocate their feelings and struggles. 

Expectations Influence Outcomes

Have you ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? This happens when you make some sort of positive or negative expectation and it actually comes true due to your behavior. This is an extremely useful concept to keep in mind. Our brains are very powerful, and your expectations about people can really influence your experiences with them. Approach your friends and loved ones with an open mindyou may find you are happier with them in the end. 

Self -Presentation Strategies

These can be used with both people you know and people you are not very close with. Ingratiation is defined as using strategies to help you become more likable. There is nothing wrong with consciously going out of your way to behave like someone whom people would enjoy being around. Once you start doing it, it might become second nature. There are several ingratiation strategies you can implement, including complimenting others (as long as it is sincere and accurate), showing some opinion conformity (don’t agree with things you honestly believe are wrong. Instead, if you agree with what someone says, make sure to actually say it out loud, not keep it in your head), and finally, render favors (make sure you have no ulterior motive and it comes from the heart. Also, make sure the favor is actually valued by the person receiving it, not just you). 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!