This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Every year my family gets together at my house for Thanksgiving. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, great-grandparents, and all the dogs come together and celebrate Turkey Day in my family’s home. It’s an absolute blast, and it’s something I’m going to miss this year. 

people gathered around a table
Photo by Askar Abayev from Pexels
The thing I’m going to miss most is our Thankful Turkey. Each Thanksgiving, my two younger sisters and I cut out dozens of colorful “turkey feathers” out of construction paper, and place them on the table alongside black Sharpie pens and clear Scotch tape. We hang up a brown paper turkey body on the wall and it is everyone’s job to write “I am thankful for…” on a turkey feather and attach it to the turkey body; kind of like a “pin the tail on the donkey” idea but without the blindfold part. By the end of the night, the turkey is decorated with all sorts of colorful thankful feathers, each sharing something that my various family members are thankful for. Some are silly, like my sister saying “Mom’s mashed potatoes” or my cousin bragging, “good grades.” Others are heartfelt, like “my wonderful family” or “time with all of you.” Overall, it’s a really sweet thing my family does every year and I’m bummed that we don’t get to make one with everyone’s feathers this year. 

Instead, I thought this might be a good opportunity for me to reflect on some of the little things I am grateful for this year. A lot of things stink right now and I know it’s tough. However, I still think it’s important to take time to step back and appreciate all the little, good things life has to offer. These little things are easy to take for granted, so by giving them attention we remind ourselves how fortunate we truly are. 

Here it goes. 

Unsplash / Element 5
I am thankful for… 

1. More time with my family this year
  2. Getting my basset hound puppy Sheldon and watching him grow up
  3. My trusty laptop that is still going strong
  4. Sticky notes and colorful gel pens
  5. Fresh nail polish
  6. Cozy pajama pants and hoodie sweatshirts
  7. Long FaceTime calls with my friends
  8. Being kind to myself even when I’m not productive
  9. Clean sheets and a freshly made bed
  10. Learning more about myself and who I want to be each year
  11. The Down Dog Yoga App (free to students and health care workers right now!!!)
  12. Tayshia being the new Bachelorette
  13. Henry my succulent plant
  14. Being proud of who I am and who I want to become
  15. My boyfriend for always listening and for making me giggle
  16. Google calendar, for existing and always being there for me
  17. Shawn Mendes’ new song Wonder
  18. Her Campus, for continuing to foster my growth as a writer and creating such a supportive environment
  19. Professors who were more flexible with assignments this quarter due to COVID
  20. Joe Biden.  
Amanda is a junior studying Communications and Psychology at UC Davis. She is currently spending her time in quarantine baking, running, doing lots of yoga, and chasing after her basset hound puppy. Amanda plans to attend law school after she graduates, hopefully somewhere with lots of trees :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!