15 Stories to Read in 15 Minutes or Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Taking time out of your busy schedule to read for pleasure is no easy task. You always say you want to read more but can’t bear the idea of starting a novel only to leave it unfinished. But fear not! The short story is here to save you!

Reading short fiction is one of the most important aspects of my life as a human being. I read at least 20 short stories every month to expose myself to many different authors and writing styles. I admire the ability to create entire worlds and discuss multiple complex themes with as much efficacy as novels in such short spaces. Some short stories will resonate more with you than others will, but it’s always exciting to try out different works.

Here are some super short stories you can read in 15 minutes or less with a quick summary to see if it could be your cup of tea. There are also links provided should you feel the urge to read  them right now! Take a quick study break, relax with a warm cup of tea, and dive right in.  

1. “The Rememberer”  – Aimee Bender

The narrator’s significant other is going through devolution, but there’s nothing she can do to stop it. The story plays with ideas about what makes us human and whether this is something to truly celebrate.

Fun fact: Ultimate biology nerds will notice that one scientific detail isn’t quite right.

2. “Girl” – Jamiaca Kincaid

This story shows readers the pains of growing up as a woman. It’s told in second person as a series of commands given to a young girl. Womanhood is some complicated business.

3. “Incarnations of Burned Children” – David Foster Wallace

This is an absolutely horrifying tale about a couple watching their child burn and the resulting thoughts from this experience. Watch out for those really long sentences!

4. “The Book of Martha” – Octavia Butler

A woman interacts with “God” and is asked to save humankind. This story explores the relationship between humanity and divinity.  

5. “The Story of an Hour” – Kate Chopin

A woman reflects on the death of her husband and undergoes a series of emotions all in the course of – you guessed it – an hour.

6. “There Will Come Soft Rains” – Ray Bradbury

A smart-house wakes up in August 2026 after the apocalypse. It’s slightly horrifying but quite beautiful.

7. “Popular Mechanics” – Raymond Carver

This story is deceptively simple because there’s really a lot going on formally and thematically.

8. “A Worn Path” – Eudora Welty

A woman is walking down a path and has all kinds of strange things happen to her. Take an allegorical approach to this one and see what you get out of it!  

9. “Orientation” – Daniel Orozco

Sometimes you need pro-tips on how to handle your cubicle desk job. There’s plenty of complexity behind the seemingly mundane.

10. “A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel” – Yoon Ha Lee

The beauty of the universe is attributed to its infinite possibilities for communication.

11. “About the Man Who Began Flying After Meeting Her” – Dave Eggers

Isn’t love just grand? This story connects flying with falling in love and the role of imagination.

12. “State Change” by Ken Liu 

Change–physical or emotional–is a frightening concept. One can only keep their ice frozen for so long. 

13. “A Very Compassionate Baby” – Anne Valente

The title pretty much says it all, but why is this happening?

14. “What You Pawn I Will Redeem” – Sherman Alexie

Through a witty first-person narrator, this story explores the role of culture, family connections, and place in defining personal identity.

15. “Gideon” – ZZ Packer

This story explores the beginning and end of a relationship. Maybe its ending was for the best.  

These images are not the property of Her Campus. 

Image courtesy of Pexels

Sonya Vyas is currently a fourth year student at UC Davis. She is a Pharmaceutical Chemistry and English double major. She enjoys listening to obscure music, reading constantly, making connections, and caring about everything.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!