10 Intersectional Feminist Podcasts You Need to Listen to Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Listen up, and listen to these podcasts. It’s true, I’m a bit of a podcast nerd and can gush on and on about them until you stop me, but for good reason!

Podcasts come in episodes, but they don’t need to be listened to in a consecutive order — so they are great to listen to on a commute, while you’re cooking dinner, or even when you need a break from staring at a computer screen. The best part about it is that you’re listening to real people talk about real things — and you learn a lot in the process. This is especially true for myself as I learn and grow into intersectional feminism. These are some of my favorite podcasts, and I thought I’d share them with you!

Call Your Girlfriend

The hosts of this show — journalist Ann Friedman and tech geek Aminatou Sow — like to say that this podcast is for long distance besties everywhere. Call Your Girlfriend really does feel like a long, soulful conversation with your forever friends. The conversation touches on anything and everything, from periods to politics, but it’s always insightful, inclusive and feminist. Love this one!

Melanin Millennials

Imrie and Satia stand at the intersections of so many identities. They’re black womxn, British, millennials and more. So they’ve got a lot to say about pop culture, millennial struggles, and the lack of representation for women like them in British media. But they’ve also got a lot to say about tea and crumpets. This one is sharp, sweet and smart, and always makes me crave tea.

(Courtesy of Melanin Millennials)

Witch, Please

If you’re a Harry Potter fan, you need to listen to this! Lady scholars Marcel Kosman and Hannah McGregor are among the brightest witches of their age, and they’ve got a lot to say about feminism, race and its role in the world of Hogwarts. If that doesn’t hook you in, maybe the titles of the episodes will. Among them are: The Chamber of Whiteness, The Goblet is Political, The Full-Blood Patriarchy and The Technicolor Dream Snape. Yes, you read that right!

(Courtesy of Witch Please)

The BinderCast

This podcast is devoted to writers who identify as womxn and gender non-conforming individuals. If you call yourself a writer, you’ll want to give this a listen. Leigh Stein and Lux Alptraum are co-hosts, and when they talk about writing, it’s like they have found a way to put everything you’ve worried about into words. When should you write for free? How do you balance your art with your day job? Who will give you permission to tell your story?

(Courtesy of The Bindercast)

.femm

Co-hosts Hannah Patellis and Dany Gonzalez market their show as “a feminist cyberqueer nerd podcast” and that’s pretty much what it is. These trans womxn talk about their geeky passions, including art, design and tech. There are rants and raves, but most importantly, a lot of reflection. This one always gets me thinking!

She Does

Elaine Sheldon and Sarah Ginsburg are the kind of go-getters that this show is about; they are the co-creators, producers and hosts of their own show, as well as documentary makers. On this show, they welcome the opportunity to talk about and with womxn just like them – those involved in creative work, like art, media and creative journalism. What’s their background? Their process? Their artistic philosophy?

(Courtesy of She Does)

Black Girl Nerds

Black Girl Nerds is a fantastic website, made by and with black womxn in mind, but with love for all womxn “who are just as nerdy as we are and the men who love and appreciate us.” And now they’ve got a podcast! Like you might expect, these women are absolutely, ridiculously NERDY, and that’s what we love about them! They’re all over the comic books, TV shows and movies — and you’ll especially want to hear what they have to say about Luke Cage, the titular hero of the new Marvel-Netflix series.

Bad Fat Broads

Get ready to feel good. This podcast, hosted by KC and Ariel, is extremely body-positive, feminist and accepting of womxn of all identities. It’s amazing to hear womxn talk about what they love, from makeup to dance to activism, and especially about their bodies.

Soul Glo

If you’re in need of a laugh, check out this podcast about diversity in comedy  and let your soul glow. Keisha Zollar, Anna Suzuki, and Emily Schorr Lesnick are the hosts, and they’ll always bring in a special guest that’ll have you chuckling in between all the listening you’re trying to do. Akilah Hughes and Hari Kondabolu are among my faves!

(Courtesy of Soul Glo Project)

Images do not belong to Her Campus or the author.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!