XO, Kitty Invents A New Type of Love Triangle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

*Spoilers for XO, Kitty below.  

Love triangles are a controversial yet widespread staple in young adult media. Questions about which “team” fans are on have run rampant across so many series over the years. Twilight had team Edward and team Jacob. The Hunger Games had team Peeta and team Gale. Even though these romance plot lines are resolved by the end of the series, it did not stop viewers from debating and rallying behind fictional characters. 

Jenny Han’s popular series To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is also known for its love triangle, particularly in the second book and movie, P.S. I Still Love You. Peter and John caused quite a divide among fans of the trilogy over who was the better fit for Lara Jean. Ultimately, Lara Jean chose Peter, and as confirmed in the recent spinoff series, XO, Kitty, they’re still together three years after the final movie. 

So when Lara Jean’s younger sister Kitty’s show came out on May 18, it was no surprise that the beloved character from the original series was caught in the middle of multiple love interests. At first glance, the love triangle might seem obvious. There is Dae, her long distance boyfriend, and Minho, Dae’s best friend who is self-described as “anti-Kitty.” Of course, the show has a good enemies-to-lovers storyline going on. 

However, the show takes a twist, and it isn’t just about two potential male romantic partners fighting for the female lead. By the finale, Kitty’s love triangle serves as a representation of her discovering more about herself. Instead of her love interests consisting of two polar opposite boys, like what is seen most often with this trope, she realizes she has feelings for a fellow student at her boarding school, Yuri, who just so happens to be a girl. 

Kitty having romantic interest in both boys and girls is a unique aspect of her character in a genre that typically has straight, predominantly white leads and love interests. Not only are Kitty and all of her possible partners people of color, they also reflect types of relationships we rarely see on screen. 

There is so much to love about XO, Kitty, and it is great to see queer teens depicted in a lighthearted rom-com television series. Love triangles are going to be everywhere regardless of any negative comments, so why not make them diverse?

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.