This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The other day, I went to grab some food at the plaza by my house. As I was walking into the Five Guys, a man shouted “hey” at me. I sped up and let out a breath of relief when I made it safely in through the doors, that is until I realized he had followed me in and was standing a couple of feet behind me in line. We were the only two customers in there and whenever I turned to look, he was always staring straight at me. I gave my order and waited off to the side, clutching my phone. I felt a huge wave of anxiety overcome me, starting in my gut. 

My mind was racing and all I knew was that I didn’t want to leave the restaurant alone. When my food came, I asked the girl employee if someone could walk me out to my car. She asked her manager who said no, but that they could call security. A part of me felt guilty for causing such a hassle, but I agreed anyway. The strange man walked out of the place with his food, looking at me once more before he left. Thankfully, a few minutes later, the nicest security guard came up to me and walked me to my car. She assured me that I made the right decision and that no gut feeling should go ignored, no matter how small. Once I got home safely, the weight of the fear finally hit and I immediately felt like crying. A part of me even worried that I overreacted, but I know now that wasn’t true. I’m glad I listened to my gut feeling because you never know what could have happened if I didn’t. 

Woman staring at a window sadly
Photo by Tiago Banderia from Unsplash
Too often, womxn try to ignore their instincts or gut feelings because of outside judgment. People may try to tell us that we’re too emotional or judgy or crazy, even, for going off our first impressions. But those instincts stem from our brain’s survival mode and there’s plenty of science behind it. Each gut feeling is meant to teach us or warn us of some possible threat. You can never be too safe by listening to it, whether it’s about feeling safe in public or feeling something wrong with your body. Sadly, even doctors have tried to dismiss womxn for “over-exaggerating” their concerns. 

Despite this, we have to continue to stand up for ourselves. Womxn should never have to apologize for trusting their intuition. We have to remind ourselves that we are allowed to feel and are justified in trying to protect ourselves, no matter what anyone else thinks. Only we know exactly what is going on in our minds and bodies. 

woman in bed under covers
Photo by Tirachard Kumtanom from Stocksnap
If you ever feel unsafe in public, know that it is okay to ask for help; it is much better than taking any risk. Become familiar with all the tips and tricks for when you think you’re being followed, especially if you go out by yourself often. And actively get comfortable with your intuition because you never know when you’ll need to listen to it most! 

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.