As a college student, sleep is essential to my success. Obviously, due to the amount of school work and other extracurricular  I have, it has become increasingly difficult for me to allocate the necessary amount of sleep (which is about eight hours). In order to be able to get in those eight hours, I must nap.  Here are some reasons why naps are necessary for survival:

To be able to do my homework

So I have a lot of morning classes this quarter, and therefore I sleep for fewer hours than needed. Naps help me not be as tired when I do my homework and focus better on what I am doing.

Good health/ relieve stress

I tend to take naps whenever my body feels very fatigued. By taking a nap, I feel much better after waking up. This also helps me relieve prior stress that I was dealing with throughout the day so when I wake up I’m no longer in such a cranky mood.

Energy

Keeping a high level of energy throughout the day is difficult. Waking up early in the morning, long work shifts, and/or long hours on the computer for school work can get very exhausting. To regain the energy that I have lost during the day, I take naps. After taking these naps, I feel refreshed and it makes me stay up longer. Consequently, I become more productive and I get things done more efficiently. 

Regulating Emotions

People tend to put me in a bad mood very easily. In order to solve this, I go to sleep so I do not have to deal with them. Furthermore, by doing this it helps me calm my emotions for when I need to see/talk to those people again. Rather than immediately becoming a hothead, it gives me time to think.

This is why I feel napping is necessary for me and it is much more beneficial for me than I first would have thought.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!