This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The war on woman’s body hair advanced during World War II when razor companies started targeting women. Women were tricked into seeing shaving their legs as an act of patriotism and to their body hair as unfeminine.

Now, body hair is slowly being accepted as natural. Unshaved women have been photographed for advertisements such as Billie and Aerie, increasing body positivity.  But, it’s not easy erasing years of hairless models on advertisements and magazines, and it might be a while before women start to embrace the hair on their body.

(Photo courtesy of American Eagle)

My body hair has always been something that I’ve been shamed for. The little Mexican girl that I was once didn’t want to wear her uniform skirt anymore and wanted to shave her legs by the third grade. Thin eyebrows were still very much alive when I hit middle school. I was told that my eyebrows were really thick and ugly. In high school, I was able to shave and do my eyebrows, but there was still something else that bothered me, my Velus hair (AKA peach fuzz) and sideburns. Although now, there’s a lot of positivity towards women who embrace their hair, I realized I could never embrace my peach fuzz. I never let another person get too close because of how dark it was, and my hair would always been down covering my ears to hide my sideburns. It was like always having a pimple on your forehead that you know people take note of when they’re talking to you. It bothered me until I realized that like the rest of the hair on my body, it was my choice of what to do with it.

After watching beauty gurus on youtube talk about dermaplaning, I decided to buy Twinkle Eyebrow Razors.

(Photo courtesy of Amazon)

In 10 minutes, my biggest physical insecurity was gone. My sideburns, peach fuzz, unibrow, and mustache had been swiped away by the razor, and I couldn’t be happier. Besides making me more confident in my own skin, there are a lot of benefits of dermaplaning whether you do it at home or with a professional.

1. It gives you an instant glow that lasts all day.

2. It makes makeup products easier to apply, and they look a lot smoother.

3. Removes dead skin cells

4. Skin care products absorb better

(Photo courtesy by Lesly Juarez on Unsplashed)

The idea of women shaving their faces seems to freak some people out, but at the end of the day, body hair is natural. Women are allowed to remove and keep any amount of body hair anywhere on their body.

My dark peach fuzz made it hard for me to enjoy simple things, so shaving it off was the best choice for me. Each body is different and what might work for me may not work for you. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you’re comfortable and happy with the choices that you make.

Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.