Why I Miss College – Food Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Back in college, I tended to eat food that I did not normally eat at home. I would either get food from the freshman dining halls, the food court on campus, or go out to each. Many of the food being offered had nothing to do with what my mom typically cooked, so I would sometimes miss having a home cooked meal. While I am back home now, I kind of miss the food I had while in college. There was much more variation, and a lot of the time, it was much healthier. Here are some of the foods/drinks I miss having while I was at college.

1. Sushi

Cheeto-Rito
Nancy Gao / Spoon

About 5 minutes away from campus, was a sushi restaurant that everyone always told me to try. After a couple of weeks of hearing the name, and finally wanting sushi, my friends and I went. They had happy hour almost every time we would go, so our food usually came out cheap. They had plenty of variation and probably some of the best sushi in Riverside.

2. Starbucks 

The Lalastarbucks Coffee And Sunglasses
Her Campus Media

Starbucks was on campus, and was one of the places we could spend the money given to us by the school. First-quarter, my friends and I did not go that often, but second-quarter we would pretty much go to Starbucks twice a week. It would be the one thing to keep us awake during finals or when cramming for a class. One thing we figured out to get our money’s worth was to ask for the drink without ice because in the end the drink is still cold. and the cup gets filled all the way.

3. Dining Hall Ramens  

Wiktor Karkocha | Unsplash

This was one of my favorite foods being served at school. Even though it wasn’t authentic Ramen, it ended up tasting very good and I always enjoyed eating it with my friends. The first time I had it was for lunch. It was so good that my friend and I ended up getting two bowls.

4. Ice Cream/ Jello 

Cream Cookies
Julia Hedelman / Spoon

The dessert was always the best part of eating for my friends and I because there was a lot being offered. Two of my favorite desserts would be the ice cream (in a bowl or cone)  or the jello shots (either sugar free or with sugar). They were both very delicious to eat. With the ice cream, one of my favorite things was mixing it with cereal to make some sort of ice cream cereal.

Sometimes I do miss this food, but I am glad to be having my mom’s home cooked meals again. I think the one thing I miss the most out of the food I would get in college was the variation and how it was always sometimes different,- and a lot to choose from. Even though back in college I said I hated dining food, now I miss it very much.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!