This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The holidays are around the corner, which means more time to get cozy under the blankets, drink some hot chocolate, and watch some good holiday films and shows. If you are unsure of what to watch or looking for something new this holiday season, I suggest you watch the Netflix original series Dash and Lily for a couple of reasons. 

1. It’s a holiday love story with a unique twist. 

Dash and Lily is about two people who couldn’t be any more different: Dash is bookish and grinch-like while Lily’s an old soul that loves Christmas more than anything else in the world . However, both of them find themselves abandoned by their families during Christmas this year. To spice things up, Lily leaves instructions for a game within books in a bookstore in New York City, hoping that someone will find them and start to play her game. As a frequent bookstore visitor, Dash finds the instructions. Curious, Dash starts to play the game so that he can learn the identity of the creator. Over the course of the series, the two find themselves in situations they wouldn’t have ever imagined, learn more about the meaning of the holidays, and fall in love. 

2. It takes place in New York!

One of the parts that makes this show so magical is the fact that it takes place in New York City. In fact, many of the show’s key moments take place in many iconic locations throughout the city, such as the Grand Central Terminal and Central Park! However, the show also has its very personal and cozy locations like the bookstore where the game starts. By taking place in New York, a place with such a unique holiday atmosphere, Dash and Lily is easily able to put its viewers in a happy holiday mood. 

3. The chemistry between the leads is absolutely perfect.

Both Austin Abrams (Dash) and Midori Francis (Lily) are great actors, and their chemistry, both in the scenes leading up to them discovering each other’s identities and during their relationship, is absolutely wonderful. Sometimes it really feels like you are watching your two best friends fall in love with each other. Both Abrams and Francis capture the essential teenage awkwardness found in young adult relationships and all of their scenes, both together and apart, make your heart feel warm. 

And those are some of the few reasons why I believe that Dash and Lily should be a holiday classic: it has everything you’d want to see in a holiday rom-com while also having its own special charms.

Brinda Kalita

UC Riverside '24

4th year history major with opinions on anything and everything