This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Beginning this upcoming  Fall Quarter, our courses will now begin ten minutes earlier. On May 16thy,  retiring Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, Cindy K. Larvie, explained the new policy.As stated in the email, the reason for this time change was due to “other important campus schedules.”

In our campus newspaper, The Highlander, many students made their concerns clear. Regardless if they commute or not, there is a vast majority of students who use the extra ten minutes as walking time to get from one class to another. For students who wish to further express the concerns, ASUCR (Associated Students of UCR) President, Semi Cole, reminded students to be vocal about their opinions on this time change.

If needed, students should go to the ASUCR government office to voice their opinions and to create dialogue between peers.

(Photo by UCR Department of Theater, Film, and Digital Production)

From the perspective of a student, this time change will most likely affect us in a negative way. If there was a real concern about the schedule of classes, then perhaps there shouldn’t be classes that end at 10 PM. This time change creates conflict because students would be late to class  more often, which can harm their grade.

Besides students, the professors use their ten minutes to prepare for their class. As a result, this could take time away from the learning environment if the professors themselves are not prepared to teach that day.

The time change is something to definitely get used to for our upcoming quarter, but I think there is a few things to help prepare us. Some of the things we can do for this is to get our things ready the night before, make meal prepping your bestie, know how much time you need to leave in advanced, and definitely get some shut-eye the night before. It’s hard, but once you find the balance you’ll definitely be thankful for saving so much time!

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.