neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Dorming at UCR Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

One of the things about college I was most excited about when I first even started applying to schools was the idea of dorm life.

Like most college applicants, I had spent my entire life living under a parent’s house and rule and I was more than excited to FINALLY be on my own. When I was accepted into UCR I was quick to submit my SIR (Statement of Intent to Register) and put down my housing deposit. There were so many things I was looking forward to, but also a ton of things I didn’t expect.

You’re roommate probably isn’t going to be what you expect.

I had the opportunity to meet my roommate during our orientation and from the impression I got from her, I did NOT  think we would become as good of friends as we did. We were different people and had different interests and I thought she’d be out all the time and I would be doing my own thing. It turned out, we were similar in the ways that truly mattered and she ended up becoming the closest friend I have made in college. First impression are important, but they can also be misleading. Remember to keep an open mind about things and you might surprise yourself.

Homesickness will hit.

In preparing for move in day, I really didn’t stop to think about how much I’d miss home once I was there. The whole college move in process doesn’t really give you much time to stop and think so when the busyness of Week 1 died down, I got a huge wave of homesickness. It hits at different times for different people, more or less for some people, but it will hit. There are ways to get through it, and you just have to remember that it won’t be long until you are home again.

Your dorm will get way too messy.

I’m not a huge neat freak, but my roommate is. We generally like to keep the room pretty clean because people are in and out of our room all the time. Despite that fact, our room somehow always manages to get super messy some days. Our room could be spotless one day and the next it could look as if a tornado hit.

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

The people you become friends with Week 1 might not be your friends by 3rd Quarter and that’s okay.

Coming into college, everyone is quick to make friendships. So quick, you might not be befriending people who you really are compatible with. As the year goes on, you might drift away from some of the friends you made in your hall on Day 1. That is completely OK. You’re going to end up friends with the people you’re meant to be friends with and click with the best.

Photo by sarandy westfall on Unsplash

You’ll make some of your best memories.

Dorming for me has been one of the best experiences of my first year in college. I’ve met so many amazing people and surprised myself the new experiences I’ve had. College is a great time to start figuring out who you really are and who you want to be and for me, the dorm style living really created the right environment to explore these questions. Dorming has given me a newfound sense of independence and the confidence that comes with it. I wouldn’t exchange the memories I’ve made for anything in the world.

Genevieve Ortiz

UC Riverside '23

.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.