This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Amidst this quarantine, for some it has changed their lifestyles entirely, and for others nothing has changed. Well, I’m somewhere in between. Just the other day my boyfriend and I decided that it was time to meet his parents and take this relationship to the next level. We could have waited until after this whole thing, but the sooner the better I thought, and it went great! So I have some tips on what you could do when meeting a significant other’s parents. 

couple holding hands
Photo by Adriana Velasquez from Unsplash

Dress nicely, but not too nice!

I say this because if you go above and beyond with your outfit and makeup, they’ll probably expect it every time you see them, or they could be led to believe you’re something you’re not. Always dress in a way that is true to yourself, but that also makes a good impression. 

Bring a small gift

Bringing with you some flowers or some treats will easily help them to remember you for years to come. They’ll be sure to recall the day you brought some delicious macaroons or the cutest vase of flowers.

woman holding bouquet of tulips
Alisa Anton

Be patient 

Parents will ask you tons of questions because in some way the first meeting is an interrogation. They want to see that you are the best for their child, so stay strong!

Always have something to say

Nothing breaks a conversation faster than awkward silence. Be sure to have something to say. You could compliment the way the house is decorated, or how well they raised their child, or bring up something from your own life. Sharing with them a small detail about yourself opens up trust and helps to further the conversation so that you can talk about your accomplishments, which would definitely make you look good, just don’t go overboard!

Meeting parents can always be awkward, but it’s always worth it for the right person. The most important thing you need to remember is to always be yourself. If they don’t love you for you, then it might not be the right fit for you and you’ll know right away. Be true to you!

Angela Mayorga

UC Riverside '22

Brown, Proud, and Down. Chicana writer with a lot to say! Check out my insta for more @angelswritetoo