What Is Calendar Blocking and Why You Should Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As a new freshman in college I’ve realized the hard way that time management in high school is nothing compared to time management in college. Not only do you have to plan your schedule around classes and homework but also any clubs/organizations, family, friends (who don’t have the same free time as you anymore), and your own health and self-care needs. And none of it will be planned for you, all the decisions depend on you. Adjusting to this massive change can be hard, but something that helped me more than anything was learning how to calendar block.

(Photo by Marten Bjork on Unsplash) 

Calendar blocking is a form of planning where you block out certain periods of time in your calendar for certain activities. It can be done physically on planners or paper calendars, however, most use their computers or phones to calendar block since it is easier.

The most basic style of this would be to block out the most significant events of your day. For example, you would block out your classes, any events or meetings, and perhaps time to hang out with friends as shown below. This is often a good place to start and more helpful if you do not like to spend a lot of time planning or if you do not know the rest of your schedule consistently.

Others, including me, may prefer a more structured style. After getting the hang of basic calendar blocking, you can get more detailed with it by including routine things like waking up, eating, going to the gym, having free time etc. as shown below. It may seem overwhelming to some, but it is more helpful if you are the type of person who prefers to know what you should be doing at all times. For me, having a more detailed calendar prevents me from wasting time and also allows me to enjoy my free time without feeling guilty since I have already accounted for it.

For students especially, some other things to put on their calendars may be assignments, due dates, tests/quizzes, etc. Most calendar apps even offer reminders to help you stay on top of everything. Having to balance school, a social life, family, and health can be tough in college but calendar blocking provides a new solution.

There are no strict rules to calendar blocking. If you find yourself liking a mix between the two options above, great! Do what works best for you. This type of time management is extremely beneficial especially when you have your computer or phone on you at all times anyway. You can add and delete events with only a few taps to ensure you never miss an event or assignment again.

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.