This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Welcome, incoming students, and congratulations on your admission to the University of California Riverside! Whether you’re a transfer student or freshman, there are a lot of new and exciting things to experience here. Starting with your first week on campus! Here is a little guide of what to expect during Welcome Week in the dorms:

The bolded events are mandatory, but all of the events listed here are free.

Sunday September 22nd:

8:45 P.M – 10 P.M.: A-I and Lothian Spirit Rally 

After moving in to your new dorm, these spirit rallies are a great way to get excited for the upcoming school year, and an opportunity to meet your new neighbors and building staff. There will be plenty of cheers and chanting, and opportunities to win prizes. For A-I residents this event will be held on the A-I Horseshoe, the drop off area directly off of Aberdeen Drive in the front of the A-I dorms. While Lothian residents can go to the Lothian D&E Grass Area.

8:45 P.M. – 10 P.M.: Pentland Resident Director Meet & Greet

This is for Pentland residents to meet the Resident Director of their area. This is different from your Resident Advisor (R.A.) who you met in front of your building when you first moved in. You will also get to meet some of the other Pentland residents. Be sure to check with your R.A. for where this will be held.  

[pagebreak]

Monday September 23rd:

10 A.M – 11 A.M.: Lothian 50th Anniversary

The Lothian Residence Hall which was built in 1963 is turning 50 years old today, so we might as well throw a party! This is a taste of one of the many resident events held throughout the year. With food, music, a raffle and other activities, there is even the chance to win the housing rate that residents paid back in 1963 for a quarter.

3 P.M. – 4 P.M.: Hall Floor Meeting

Since this meeting is mandatory, you should be able to see all of your new hall mates here. If you haven’t yet, here you will get to meet your RA, sign a contract agreeing to live in the dorm under the housing terms, and get any questions that you have answered. You should also turn in the forms in which you record the condition of your dorm room, so that you won’t be charged for any damage that was there before you moved in! Check with your RA for where to go, but usually hall floor meetings are held in the hall/building’s community room.

4:45 P.M. – 5:45 P.M.: New Student Convocation

This is your official welcome to UCR’s “Highlander Family!” Hosted by Chancellor Kim Wilcox and the faculty and staff of UCR this is your “ceremonial induction into the University community.” With guest speakers and lots of Scottish music, you’ll be surprised how big your incoming fellow freshman class is! This is held in the Student Recreation Center across the street from the A-I dorms.

5:45 P.M. – 10 P.M.: R’Side Celebration 

Right after the New Student Convocation, head over to the Highlander Union Building or “HUB” for another Highlander spirit event. This is a really fun event featuring an outdoor food fair, bounce houses, live music and other great activities. At 8 P.M. at the Bell Tower here will be a “Glow Party,” and performances by Torches and DWNTWN. *You MUST wear your UCR wristband that you were given during move-in day, because this is your admission ticket.

Monday September 23 – Wednesday September 25: Campus Tour

Sometime between these days your RA should be leading a campus tour for all of their residents, so wear comfortable shoes and take note of all the potential routes to get to your classes! Be sure to talk to your RA to find out when this will be for you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and show them your class schedule!

[pagebreak]

Tuesday September 24:

10 A.M. – 11 A.M.: Fraternity and Sorority Info Fair

This is a great opportunity to meet all of the sororities and fraternities on campus! With a wide range of academic, cultural and Greek organizations there is plenty to explore. Over 40 of these organizations are represented through the 5 main councils: Collaborative Multicultural Council, College Panhellinic Association, Interfraternity Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Raza Assembly. This event will be held in Pentland Hills F111, and is NOT the same as recruitment, but rather an informational event to casually explore the different organizations!

11 A.M – 12 P.M.: Transfer Student Tour

This is a campus tour for the transfer students to see some of UCR’s spots to eat, study, hang out and find resources. The tour will be guided by housing AND campus veterans, so it’s also a time to ask them questions. The tour will meet in Pentland Hills B107!

Friday September 27th: Block Party

5:30 P.M. – 9:30 P.M.: Cher Lloyd, Young the Giant and Schoolboy Q will be performing at this year’s Block Party concert! This is held on campus around the Bell Tower. This is a UCR student-only event, so present your student ID upon entry to the concert. Also, you can pick up your Block Party meal tickets at the A-I or Lothian Residential Restaurant between Tuesday Breakfast and Friday Lunch. The residential restaurants will be closed at this time so your only food options are the food booths. Along with the festivities there will also be many student organizations tabling for you to learn more about!

Sunday September 29th:

4 P.M.: Men’s Soccer Game vs. Incarnate Word

Come out and cheer on our Men’s soccer team as they play the University of Incarnate Word at the UCR Soccer Stadium! If you come with your RA then you might be one of the hundreds of people to get UCR spirit gear, coupons and more. The game is free for all UCR Undergrad students if you show your R’Card!

For a complete list of the events during Welcome Week go HERE: http://rside.ucr.edu/highlander_welcome_housing.htm,

Stephanie Fong

UC Riverside

Stephanie Fong is a second year Pre-Business major at the University of California Riverside. She discovered her love for journalism while writing for her high school newspaper. She is also the Director of Electronic Communications and a proud member of UCR's Delta Gamma. This adventure-seeking, cardio-kickboxing food-lover can't wait to share her stories with you!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside