This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I won’t even sugarcoat it. The beginning of this quarter was absolutely chaotic. This quarter, I am once again taking four (upper) division classes, involved with four clubs, and working part-time. Besides this constant of balancing school and extracurriculars, I was thrown some curveballs before school actually started up again.

With the New Year, I decided on New Year’s Eve to finally begin painting my room. I definitely underestimated how long it would take to finish, but my stubbornness got the best of me. So, I didn’t finish painting and moving all my furniture back into my room until Sunday night. Usually, I like to have Sundays as my days to recharge and have downtime for the upcoming week. That didn’t happen this time since I was putting my books back, setting up my bed, and so on. As of today, I think everything is where it should be for the most part.

chunky lace up boots fall fashion
Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels
Additionally, another one of my own personal things to deal with is graduate school applications. I plan to have everything in by March, so it’s pretty nerve racking with trying to get everything together. I have most of my recommenders contacted, but I’m still feeling a little nervous about getting my letters of recommendation from them. For the most part, they’re simple to fill out when it comes to school information, personal information, and so on. I think the hardest parts would be my personal statement, transcripts, and letters of recommendation.

Besides my own personal happenings, it was hard to focus on school with the attack on the Capitol. I first found out while I was on a walk and talking with my grandma. She asked me if I had been keeping up with the news and I thought it would be something to do with COVID. She told me that Trump supporters were in the building and trying to stop the election again. I saw pictures on Twitter before they were in the building, but the severity of what was going on didn’t really dawn on me. Once I got home, I watched live streams and saw all the Tweets about what was going on. It made me really afraid because, to me, this division makes us look vulnerable.

Test test test
Markus Spiske / Unsplash
After watching these streams, it just made me feel so uneasy. I was reminded about my previous sociology course where we learned how white supremacy is not only held up by white folks, but also non-white folks.

It was definitely a way to start the week, so it helped when I took a break occasionally from social media and also kept my space organized. I feel like a disorganized room can definitely impact how put-together I feel, so I cleaned my whole room about twice this week to try to shake off the discomfort. 

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.