neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Wake Up Late for Class? Tips to Get You Out the Door Fast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Something I learned very quickly in college is that I am not a morning person. There were so many mornings that I had to fight myself to get up and go to class. I know that a lot of people have experienced time travel when they turn off their alarm, blink, then suddenly you have 20 minutes to get ready. These are 4 tips for getting ready on a time crunch.

1. Hygiene

No matter how late you are, hygiene is probably the most important thing to take care of in the morning. It also helps you wake up and feel clean and fresh for the day. Make sure that you complete your normal routine for the morning like washing your face and brushing your teeth. Also, don’t forget to moisturize your skin! Moisturizer keeps the skin looking healthy and it is an added layer of protection from the elements. According to Life, moisturizer should be based on your skin type or it can cause your skin to be more prone to acne. Another thing to not forget is to apply deodorant. Deodorant is something I think is essential to hygiene. I recommend using a Dove deodorant because it goes on smooth and doesn’t clump up. I also think it lasts pretty much all day.

(Photo Courtesy of Pixabay by sardenacarlo) 

2. Plan Your Outfit

Something to help make the mornings run smoother is to lay out your clothes for the morning or mentally pick out what you are going to wear. Checking the weather for the next day is essential to planning an outfit so you are not to hot or cold throughout the day. This is very helpful to the morning rush because you don’t have to take extra time in the morning to frantically pick something out. It’s something you don’t even have to think about.

***Pro tip: bring a sweater to class because most rooms have the AC blasting which can make it a miserable hour of class.

(Photo Courtesy of Pixabay by Nietjuh)

3. Easy Hair

In my own experience, hair has a mind of its own. To help my hair from being knotted in the morning, I usually put it in a loose low ponytail overnight. However, I do not use regular hair ties. Instead I use a scrunchy because regular hair ties have rubber bands inside them that can create a bump in your hair. I bought my scrunchies from Target because it comes in basic colors that I can also wear during the day. If your hair is being difficult, you can never go wrong with a side braid or just a good old fashioned dad hat.

(Photo Courtesy of Stocksnap by Laura Lefurgey-Smith)

4. Simple Makeup

My makeup is pretty basic if I’m running late. I only use the essentials: foundation, concealer, eyebrow powder, face powder, blush, and mascara. The trick is to be able to do all of this in 15 minutes or less. The reason I consider these to be essential is only that of what I think I need to use. Some people may not need to use all of this and that is even better because it cuts down on time. First, I apply foundation all over my face and blend it out using my beauty blender. Using the same beauty blender, I apply a small amount of concealer under my eyes and blend that out. Next, I put face powder all over to set the foundation and prevent creasing. While I let the powder set, I shade in my eyebrows to make them look fuller. Using a fluffy brush, I wipe off the excess powder from my face. Lastly, I apply mascara and some chapstick then I’m good to go.

(Photo Courtesy of Pixabay)

Running late to class can be super stressful, but hopefully these tips can help your morning mood. Even if you aren’t running late to class, these tips can help you maximize your sleeping time and make your mornings less stressful. 

Priscilla Herrera

UC Riverside '20

My name is Priscilla Herrera and I am a student at the University of California Riverside. I am studying to get my bachelor's degree in Sociology. I love free-swimming mainly at Laguna Beach with my friends and family. Something I would love to do someday is skydive or bungee jump.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.