Life > Academics

Ups and Downs of Scheduling for Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This past week I was able to schedule my class for the winter quarter. While choosing the classes that I wanted, I came to realize that there were always many ups and downs that I have had to deal with when it comes to choosing the classes that I want or need to take. Here are some of the ones that I have had to deal with.

Ups

1. Get the classes I like

I am able to get my top pick of the class which I love. I am able to schedule within the first week of it and so many of the classes still have multiple seats available to choose from. This allows me to get classes that I might actually be interested in as well as choose professors that I like or would like to get to know.

1. Many classes to choose from

Since I currently have senior standing I am able to schedule my classes within the first week. This allows me to have different classes to choose from and not have to worry as much whether one of them is full or not. This also gives me a bigger range of classes to choose from in case one of them does fill up and I have to rely on a backup class.

1. Don’t really have to worry about it

Since I schedule within the first week, I don’t really have to stress about too much except for a couple of days before it. If I schedule further on in the shielding period, I would be worried constantly about if the classes I wanted were getting filled and if I would have to change my plans for the upcoming quarter.

Downs

1. Sometimes my major classes are at the same time/overlap

Although many of the classes that I was choosing from were empty, classes required for my two majors tend to overlap a lot of the time so I would have to choose one over the other. This can be stressful. In the end, to resolve this I try to pick the class that is the most necessary to complete my major requirements.

1. Morning classes

Sometimes only morning classes are available for both my majors and this can be quite hard. It is difficult for me to wake up in the morning and the classes offered within my majors tend to be 8 am. I can barely wake up at 8 am right now to go to work; I don’t think I would be able to wake up at 7:10 to be at school for class. I would have to be in bed too early and I’d be exhausted for the rest of the day.

1. Having Friday classes

This is probably one of the worst parts of scheduling. Sometimes classes are only offered on a Friday which sucks because then  I have classes Monday through Friday, and I would only get two days off. Ever since my sophomore year, I have been able to get my classes scheduled for two to four days a week. Fridays are usually off, so this would be weird for me. 

These are some of the ups and downs that I have had up until now throughout my college experience. Hopefully, next time scheduling comes around it is just as easy as it was this year and I don’t have to stress myself out as much as I did when I was a freshman.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!