Life > Academics

Upper-Division vs Lower-Division Classes: Are Upper-Divs Really Harder?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I do not know about you, but I had always looked forward to taking my upper-division classes. I was excited about taking classes that would dive deeper into my major. However, I wondered if these upper-division classes would be more difficult than my lower-division classes. I had heard conflicting opinions, some considered upper-division classes as much more difficult, whereas others found no difference. Now, after completing my first quarter of upper-division classes, I have an answer about whether or not you should be nervous about taking these more advanced courses. 

College courses are categorized in a variety of ways, with most being designated as an upper-division class or lower-division class. Lower-division classes “refer to mostly introductory classes or series of classes designed to be taken in students’ first two years of college”. These are your introductory courses, and general education requirements. Lower-division classes usually have hundreds of students and there is not much chance to interact with your peers or instructors until discussion sections or office hours. 

In contrast, upper-division courses “offer a more specific and deep exploration of the topics they are covering”. Upper-division classes have many benefits such as a smaller class size, more in-depth discussion, and a chance to get to know your instructor. With that being said, the deeper dive into curriculum can also mean a more challenging class. 

This quarter I took two upper-division courses, along with two other classes. My upper-division courses were taught by professors within my major, which was great. I was able to network with them, and learn more about opportunities for my major. The biggest difference I noticed in my upper-division courses was the size of the classes. The classes were so small that the lecture felt like a discussion, and I was able to understand course material better as well as connect with my classmates. I felt more comfortable in this smaller setting to ask questions about the material as well as contribute my own ideas to the lecture. 

Of course, I did notice some more challenging aspects of the courses. There were a lot less assignments in my upper-division courses, which at first glance may seem like a good thing, but less assignments are also less opportunities to improve your grade. The assignments were also mostly writing long papers. It could get tiring having a long response paper due every week or every other week. Due to this it felt as if the classes were going by very quickly and like I could never take a break, because another big assignment was due right around the corner. The good thing was I did not notice a difference in the amount of readings I had to do. Upper-divisions are also a great way for you to evaluate whether you are truly passionate about your major, or if a change is necessary. 

Based on my experience this quarter I would say my upper-division courses did challenge me, but not in a way that was unmanageable. The classes helped me develop my writing skills more as well as time management. My favorite aspect of my upper-division courses by far was the chance to connect with my professors. Getting to know your professors can be difficult in large classes and intimidating, but in my upper-division classes it was very easy to talk to them and establish a relationship. If you are nervous about taking upper-division classes, my advice is to be excited instead. Although the classes will be challenging in some aspects, they are also very rewarding.

Emily Manus

UC Riverside '25

Emily is a third-year public policy major. She hopes to write about her passions and issues that are important to her as well as the UCR community. Emily's interests include the arts, media, and culture.