This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Often the most arbitrary decisions can have the greatest impact on you; this was all too true for me when I decided to take an Intro to Ethnic Studies class. Needing to fulfill an Ethnics course requirement and wanting a broader view of ethnic studies ( not just one concentrated topic) II chose the class not really thinking much about it. However, soon I became interested in the articles we read and the in-depth lectures. I found that it made me see things from a new perspective. My very first discussion emotionally impacted me as we learned about the erasure of indigenous culture for many native people. I was enraptured by the truth often hidden which was often sugar-coated to be more digestible; to lessen the sins of the past. The class soon became one of my favorites, it also helped that both the professor and my assigned TA were passionate and eager to teach us.

woman typing on laptop in cafe
Photo by Bonnie Kittle from Unsplash
Although the class had already had an immense effect on me I soon was exposed to a truth about myself, one I never expected to find in academia. For our midterm, we were assigned a memoir by Roberto Lovato, Unforgetting: A Memoir of Family, Migration,Gangs and Revolution in the Americas. The memoir focused on Roberto and his experience as a first-generation boy of Salvadoran descent. As someone who is also first-generation and of Salvadoran descent I felt his words resonate in a way nothing had ever before. Vague details about how my grandpa worked in coffee fields and the Maras that were prominent near grandma’s house in El Salvador were all I could really remember about my connection to my mother’s homeland. My parents were always silent on the matter so I never really understood or wanted to learn more.

This memoir did not give me the comfort of hiding behind silence, it exposed me to the problems and issues that plague El Salvador. I had never seen representation, let alone honesty about my heritage. Learning about poverty and the revolutionary nature of my people made me angry and proud. The fact that there was so much corruption and innocent lives caught in the crossfire made me sick; the way broken families worked hard to pursue a better life cemented my respect for the strength of my people. Roberto’s poignant word use and retelling of his past made me nostalgic and enlightened me about a part of myself I had never explored. It inspired me to breach that comfortable silence and let go of my ignorance in pursuit of finding fragments of myself and more importantly of my family. 

Gray Study Dice on Table
Pixabay
This led to uncomfortable conversations with my parents and research I had to do on my own. However, I don’t regret searching for more because I have finally found a sense of belonging in my own culture, and I am still learning. I think everybody should appreciate, learn, and accept their heritage. It’s time we unforget our cultures and relearn our roots. 

Paulina Herrera

UC Riverside '22

Paulina Herrera is a junior at UC Riverside studying English. She has spent her time refining her skills as an art director intern for The Naked Magazine and as an intern for The Art Collection, NY. When she is not working on her art or writing you can find her reading copious amounts of comics and books or attending conventions.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.