This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Finals week is here, and you are doing one of two things: procrastinating on studying or bragging to everyone that you finished (while they fight the urge to smack you with a textbook). Regardless of which end of the spectrum you’re on, music can fit any mood and situation. As the wise Confucius once said, “Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” You simply can’t argue with Confucius. Without further ado, I present you with a few underrated bands that deserve much more attention.

Like Walk the Moon?

Listen to: Magic Man

I guarantee you that Magic Man will explode on the radio within the next few months. It’s nearly impossible to get through one of their songs without bobbing along because they exude so much energy. They’re basically a shot of espresso in the form of an indie pop band. Catch them on their upcoming tour with Panic at the Disco and Walk the Moon this summer if you’re digging them.

Like Coldplay?

Listen to: The Mary Onettes

The Mary Onettes have satisfied my eardrums with their sweet, mellow bliss for the past few months, and I hope they’ll satisfy yours. The Swedish band just released their amazing EP Portico: and played at the annual South by Southwest film and music festival in Austin, Texas, so it’s safe to say that their big break is approaching. I’m still internally squealing over the fact that I scooped up an autographed, vinyl copy of their (arguably best) album Hit the Waves at Mad Platter for only five dollars, a complete steal.

Like Capital Cities?

Listen to: Kisses

Kisses is a synthpop duo comprised of real-life couple Jesse Kivel and Zinzi Edmundson. They have two albums and two EPs under their vintage, perfectly worn-in belt, with every song featuring catchy melodies and a distinctly SoCal sound. If you’re in desperate need of a stress reliever, listen to their latest album Kids in LA and allow yourself a much-needed dance break. They play affordable, local shows often that I can vouch to be quite an enjoyable experience.

Like New Order?

Listen to: Cold Cave

Cold Cave is a collaborative solo project headed by Wesley Eisold, previously the lead vocalist of hardcore punk bands American Nightmare and Some Girls. He has since taken a different route with Cold Cave by crafting haunting songs with an electronic, 80s vibe. His infectious beats combined with his thought-provoking lyrics will get you hooked.

Like Tyler, the Creator?

Listen to: Salem

My most recent discovery has been Salem, and I could only wish that I had discovered them sooner considering they’ve been around since 2006. They ooze that dark, surreal vibe that you will either love or hate. I obviously identify with the former. Although they’re infamously lackluster live, their studio material deserves some recognition.

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside