A Trip to the 70s, 80s, and early 2000s in Netflix’s Firefly Lane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Recently, I watched Netflix’s new original series Firefly Lane and finished all 10 episodes within a day. Originally based on the novel by Kristin Hannah, the show stars Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke,(who you may know from Grey’s Anatomy and Scrubs) who take the role of playing inseparable best friends, Tully Hart and Kate Mularkey. While there were several flaws I saw within the show, I genuinely enjoyed watching it and wanted to point out what I did admire about the new series. 

Although some aren’t a fan of non-linear storylines, I personally like when shows go back and forth through timelines because it helps in understanding a character’s roots and in ways it aids in revealing parts of the entire mystery that is embedded. Firefly Lane does exactly that by showing how the two best friends met in the 70s, began their career together in the 80s, and flash-forwards to 2003 in their present lives. It follows both their friendship and own personal lives through all the highs and lows and depicts the two even in their most vulnerable moments as they grow from their teens into their 40s. Even though it has a corny romance plotline, it never overpowered or took away from the main narrative of just Tully and Kate. 

two women sitting on a car
Photo by Elijah O'Donnell from Pexels
With any show or film that I watch, I pay close attention to the music that is used. That being said, I was highly impressed with the soundtrack choice for Firefly Lane, especially because it’s a period piece and included a variety of songs from the different decades it visited. Each decade used music from that specific time which made the show much more immersive and fun. Although I will say, the costume design for the show could’ve used some touch-ups, but nonetheless, it was pretty cool to see the actors’ different appearances in each time frame.  

Besides the plot, I found myself admired by the two’s drive and determination to achieve their dream career as journalists and it was heartwarming to see how powerful their friendship was. Tully and Kate are completely different from one another, yet their differences never drew them apart. Tully’s charisma and Kate’s awkwardness create such engaging chemistry between the two and the entire time I watched it, it reminded me of my best friend and I’s relationship, since the both of us resonated and are also writers as well. 

Netflix title screen
Photo by Thibault Penin from Unsplash
The show’s last episode was the main problem for me as it felt a bit rushed. However, to my surprise, it seems as if their friendship is challenged in the last episode which ends in a cliffhanger and implies a second season. It made me question it all: What exactly did Tully do? Honestly, knowing me, I don’t think I could wait until a second season to find out and I may end up reading the book to figure out what happened myself. 

Poster of Netflix TV show \"Firefly Lane\"
Netflix
Firefly Lane did have its flaws and it may not have been the best series I have watched, but it was entertaining enough to keep me intrigued and I couldn’t help but continue to each episode to see what would happen next. If you have some free time on your hands and are looking for a quick, lighthearted show, I would recommend binge-watching and giving this series a chance. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.