TOP 5 MOVIES TO GET YOU IN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Winter is finally coming and with winter comes the holiday season. There’s no better way to spend this time than drinking too much hot chocolate, bundling up in your comfiest clothes, and putting on a good holiday movie. Here are my five best cheesy, feel good, holiday movie recommendations. 

“The Polar Express” 

This is my possibly favorite christmas movie ever to be made. I personally do not think it gets enough credit. The movie depicts the story of a boy who questions the existence of Santa Claus. He gets picked up on a train and is taken on the journey of his life to the North Pole. He and all the other kids on the train learn valuable lessons that they take home with them after their adventure. This movie is an overall feel good experience and it always puts me in a warm and happy mood. My favorite part will always be enjoying a cup of hot chocolate while they sing the hot chocolate song on the train!

“Elf” 

“Elf” is a movie that you can never go wrong with. It tells the story of a human (Will Ferrel) raised by elves in the North Pole and his journey to find his biological father in New York City. It’s definitely a Christmas classic and will make you laugh and maybe even cry, but above all else it will surely get you in the holiday spirit. 

“How The Grinch Stole Christmas”

This movie is another one of my favorites because it highlights the importance of family and friends over the material things that people can get fixated on. The Grinch is someone who hates Christmas but after stealing everyone’s presents he grows to love the holiday because of the people. When the people of Whoville wake up with no presents they begin to love Christmas for the people as well, instead of material things.

“Home Alone” 

This movie is probably the best choice if you need a good laugh. It captures the story of an eight year old named Kevin after he is accidentally left behind by his family for Christmas. He is forced to take care of himself and protect his house from two mysterious robbers, and he pulls it off in the most clever and funny way possible. It’s almost impossible not to enjoy this classic movie!

“The Holiday”

This movie is a great example of a fun Christmas rom-com. The movie depicts the lives of two women, one from California and the other from England. They are both dissatisfied with their lives and decide to swap homes for the holiday season. They both end up finding romantic interests on their getaway, making their holiday seasons much more interesting. This is a perfect choice if you want to watch a comforting cheesy movie with a splash of romance. 

If you’re not feeling the holiday spirit quite yet, these movies will definitely fix that! I hope these recommendations make you smile during this holiday season!

Rina Ahuja

UC Riverside '24

I am a third year Psychology major that enjoys writing. I also enjoy trying different coffee shops, listening to music, and exploring new places.