books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Three Uncommon Things to do in San Diego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As school is coming to an end, summer is just around the corner for many students. Why not kick it off by taking a trip to the beautiful Pacific coast in San Diego, California? Below is a list of three uncommon things to do in San Diego

(Photo courtesy of nationalcomedy.com)

1. Buy tickets to The National Comedy Theatre

Enjoy a night filled with popcorn and jokes so corny  they will make soda shoot out of your nose. The National Comedy Theatre is an interactive improv comedy show located near Mission Hills. Professional comedians perform a series of games, skits, and scenes all based on the suggestions of the audience.. The Mainstage Show on Friday and Saturday nights is suitable for all ages and is one of the longest-running shows in San Diego’s history. The Friday night NCT Unrated show at 9:45 crosses into adult-orientated subjects and is perfect for a night out with friends, but make sure to leave anyone under 16 at home. To buy tickets and get more information, visit their official website.

(Photo courtesy of balboapark.org)

2. Balboa Park

Balboa Park is a beautiful 1,200-acre cultural park that is home to a plethora of art exhibits, gardens, museums, theatres, and he world-famous San Diego Zoo. You can take a stroll along one of the many walking trails or visit the Botanical Building which houses more than 2,100 permanent plants. Afterwards, you can head to El Prado, the ‘downtown’ area of Balboa Park, where much of the public convenes to enjoy food and the gorgeous Spanish-Moor influenced architecture. If the scenery is not enough, head over to the Zoo’s entrance and ride the Carousel and miniature railroad ride. One thing is for sure, you will never be bored at Balboa Park!

(Photo by snaptitude on Adobe Stock)

3. Murder Mystery Dinner

Transform yourself into a detective for one night by solving a crime while feasting on a fantastic dinner at Handlery Hotel. The Dinner Detective show features professional actors that are hidden throughout the audience. The culprit is hiding in plain sight among the guests, but you may even find yourself to be a prime suspect. Each ticket includes a four-course meal, the show, wait staff gratuity, and plenty of surprises! This is a great way to put your intelligence skills to the test and see if you can solve the mystery,  

Whether you are planning a day trip or a weekend getaway, these three activities are perfect for people who are tired of the same conventional things to do.

Samantha Park

UC Riverside '22

Poet || Writer || Editor Find me somewhere drinking coffee and reading Sylvia Plath
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.