Bid Day 2
Bid Day 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

The Best Parts of Being in a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I joined a sorority sophomore year of college and it’s been one of the best things I have done so far. I have been able to meet some of my closest friends as well as have different opportunities because of it. Here are some of the best parts I’ve found of being in a sorority.

1. Friends for a lifetime

Many times people say that you pay for superficial friends when in a sorority, but I think I’ve managed to find some of my closest friends in mine. Many of the people who I have met within my chapter have the same values as I do and yet we are also very different. Obviously, some of our interests are the same, but it is crazy that I managed to make such good and close friendships with people I’ve only known for a year.

1. Connections/Networking

By being in a  sorority, many times people will only see my affiliation and start talking to me because of that. I know many times some of my sisters have been able to get a job or an interview since they have a similar affiliation as someone who saw their resume. It allows me to be able to connect with more people as well as to learn how to communicate better. I know before joining my chapter, I was much shyer at reaching out to people or taking the initiative to make plans.

1. PR

All of the cute merch that is included with being in a sorority is pretty cool. It’s awesome to get free clothes a couple of times a year which allows me to represent the chapter that I am in with pride. Many times, having PR allows for cute picture opportunities with my sisters.

1. Fun activities throughout the year

This is probably the best part of being in a sorority since I am able to participate in many different events and activities. My chapter holds different events throughout the year such as Mallard Ball, Semi, and Formal. These are some of the biggest events where we are able to invite a guest and dress up. Apart from that we also have sisterhood and community service events as well as other special events. By being in a sorority, I can also participate in different events held by other chapters in Greek Life such as Moonball or Miss Minerva.

These are some of my favorite parts of being in a sorority. I am able to do different things and have different opportunities that might not have been possible if I had not gotten involved. Honestly, Greek life is really fun, and I would definitely recommend it.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!