Taylor Swift Kicks Off The Long Awaited Eras Tour in Style!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

On March 17, Taylor Swift kicked off her long-anticipated Eras Tour in Glendale, Arizona– which was better known as Swift City, EraZona for the weekend! Nearly 70,000 Swifties attended Friday and Saturday night shows in the first city of the tour. Fans who managed to secure tickets despite the infamous Ticketmaster debacle back in November came in their best Taylor Swift-inspired outfits: from iconic music video looks, costumes inspired by their favorite lyrics, or just capturing the essence of their favorite era, concert-goers were ‘dressed to the nines,’ as Taylor sings in her song “Starlight.”

After much speculation about the opening song Taylor would greet her fans with at her first concert in five year, Swift began the show with “Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince”. She continued her set with a few songs from her 2019 album, Lover, wearing a stunning Versace bodysuit each night. Taylor then shifted into Fearless, her first album to win a Album of the Year Grammy Award back in 2010. Fearless brought us iconic hits such as “You Belong With Me” and “Love Story,” and Taylor did not shy away from incorporating all the nostalgic elements we have loved for years. After Fearless, another outfit change came, this time much more whimsical and witchy, and perfect for the evermore era. Taylor made sure to tell her audience that she has seen *all* of the comments accusing her of neglecting evermore, and she assured that her ninth album is as dear to her as it is to evermore’s biggest fans. 

Taylor Swift folklore
Republic

After the emotional performances of the evermore era, Taylor made a stark shift to reputation. She changed once again, this time into a asymmetrical black body suit that made jaws drop. She briefly switched into a stunning ball gown to sing “Enchanted” off of her 2010 album, Speak Now, before entering her Red era. Taylor wore T-shirts with iconic saying from her original Red era back in 2012, then brought out a sparkling ombre red and black oversized coat dress to sing “All Too Well (10 Minute Version).” After Red, Taylor transported the stadium back to the Folklorian Forest and performed some of the fan-favorites from folklore, before yet another outfit change for 1989. Each night, she stunned in a two piece sparkling fringe ensemble. The first night, the outfit was a pinkish-red, while the second night’s was a gorgeous jewel-toned green. Finally, Taylor Swift ended the night by performing songs from her latest album, Midnights, and that era alone had plenty of costume changes. She closed out the show with “Karma,” and it was clear that the show was worth the wait. 

The concert was opened by Gayle and Paramore. Taylor’s set alone lasted three hours! She performed a total of 44 songs each night, with two of them being surprise acoustic performances that are different each night of the tour. Packed with colorful lights, incredible dancers, beautifully executed choreography, fantastic songs, and of course, thousands of Swifties, the first couple shows of the Eras Tour was everything we could have asked for and so much more!

Kiana Sardari

UC Riverside '24

Third year Media and Cultural Studies and Global Studies double major. Probably at a concert right now.