Life > Academics

Studying Shouldn’t be Dreadful: How to Study Smarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Why does studying seem to be one of the most impossible things to get started? Maybe it’s because we have an innate nature that screams at us to do literally anything else, but as a senior in college, I’ve developed and picked up on some really good study habits that have helped me and my peers get through our college experiences.

Develop a Routine

Procrastination is not your bestie, ditch her by developing a good routine. If you’re constantly studying at random times of the day with no plan, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Having a schedule where you predetermine where and for how long you’ll study throughout the week will give you a sense of normalcy and it will allow you to always have time to study.

School GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Repeat What You Learn 

If you don’t go over your notes you’re never going to learn. There have been times where I go to class, take notes, and then never look at them again until I absolutely have to. However, I‘ve since developed the routine of going over my materials as soon as I get home, and that ensures that the lectures stay fresh in my mind so that I can add on to or better explain my own notes. Try it out once or twice and you’ll find out that it actually makes a major difference.

Reading Studying GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Study With Friends

This is helpful in the way it’ll hopefully get you out of your room. Studying in the place where you usually relax kinda sucks. At least I know when my friends and I study in our own rooms we inevitably end up on our beds watching Youtube videos. So to fight that laziness, gather your friends, go to your library, or some study space and just start working. Having other people around you be productive is sure to boost your own productivity. Not only that but you’ll also have someone to bounce ideas off of which leads me to the next point.

Books Study GIF by SoulPancake - Find & Share on GIPHY
Teach Someone Else

Studies have shown that teaching someone else is a very effective way to understand the material you’re dealing with. The reason this works is because you have to think about everything you learned, comprehend it, and then explain it to someone else. Adding to this, as you teach you’ll be creating more questions for yourself and possibly getting questions from whoever you’re presenting to.

Studying doesn’t have to be this impossible task, and studying smarter doesn’t have to mean doing a whole lot. It’s just about having the drive to actually set time aside to study. Starting is by far the hardest part but once you’re there, the rest comes easy. Happy studying!

Jay Telles

UC Riverside '22

Fourth-year English major with a love for social justice, fashion, and woman empowerment.