Style > Beauty

Step Out of Your Eyeshadow Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

All of us have different ways we get creative with, whether it be drawing, singing, dancing, or makeup; we like to have a creative outlet. Besides having a mini-concert in my car, I love doing my makeup, more specifically, I like doing my eyeshadow. From the brown mattes to the sparkly emerald shades, I appreciate what each color has to offer. My eyeshadow skills are very basic, but it’s the beautiful colors and blending that really seal the deal. Here are some of my favorite eyeshadow palettes that really push me to be more open to colorful looks but are also a safe bet when I need something quick and easy.

Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

The So Jaded Palette, a collaboration between Colourpop and Kathleen Lights, retails for $39 on Colourpop Cosmetics or 4-interest free payments of $9.75. I was hesitant to purchase this palette because although there are many neutrals, which are my favorite shades, there are also many colors that I would not know how to incorporate into a look. After watching many reviews on YouTube, I was won over and ordered it online, and I do not regret it one bit! This is usually a pretty high price for Colourpop since they are considered an affordable brand, but the price has been worth it for me. The colors are all amazing, the shimmers are smooth and sparkly, and the mattes are buttery and easy to blend. The palette also includes two pressed glitters, which personally I like to add to my hair instead of my eyes because glitter cut your eye.

I was intimidated by the non-neutral colors, like the turquoise and navy blue shades, but I managed to find ways to add them to my look for a fun pop of color. My favorite way to include color into my eyeshadow is to add it to my inner corners or on my lower lash line.

flat lay of makeup
Emily Nelissen

As I mentioned, my favorite colors are neutrals and warm tones; I feel like cool tones wash me out and make me look dead. However, one of my friends really likes cool tones. They look amazing on her and it made me want to try these colors again. So when I saw this palette, the Take Me to Barcelona by Bh Cosmetics, I found my perfect balance of cool and warm tones. This palette retails for $16 on Bh Cosmetics and Ulta. It was apparently a hit because it was sold out for a while, but I managed to get my hands on the last one at the Ulta I went to. The mattes are smooth and the shimmers are mesmerizing! Although Bh Cosmetics is considered a drugstore brand, their palettes do not disappoint; the pigment is present and your wallet is thankful. 

I like that this palette offers a good mix of my favorite and newly favorite shade ranges. I can do a smokey or natural look. This is a perfect travel palette because it’s compact, has enough shade options, and a mirror. Some of us might even be able to get away with using a shade or two as highlight or blush. Overall, this is a good and affordable option that offers a lot!

Makup On Vanity
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

When I first saw this palette by Alamar Cosmetics that retails for $28, I fell in love with the Caribbean theme. This palette screams summer, although I am not going to lie, the blue shades did almost scare me off. However, again I was not disappointed with this palette, it is a little more expensive than other palettes but the quality is there. This brand is owned by a Latina makeup artist, therefore you can expect to get the best quality and trendy shades available. The shimmers are captivating, they apply better with your finger, but one tap and your brush or finger is covered in beautiful shimmers.

This palette is also quite versatile, I have used it to fill in my eyebrows, as blush, and highlight. This is a new brand that is quickly growing; if you are able to, go support this creative woman and her brand!

The Lalaputting On Lip Balm
Her Campus Media

No matter what colors you like to rock on your lids, do not be afraid to try something new! There is comfort in your usual beauty routine, and you definitely should do what works best for you; but just in case you were looking to add something new to your collection, these are all great options. Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone can be a good thing, go show off your creativity, you will look amazing!

Araceli Martinez

UC Riverside '20

Hi, I'm a 4th-year Political Science Major with a minor in Labor Studies. My hope is to create relatable content that will help others feel empowered or that they are not alone.