Standing Up Finally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Need advice? Then ask away! It’s totally anonymous! http://bit.ly/HJ9sLC

I had a really embarrassing beyond-drunk one night stand the first month of my freshman year with a soccer player. I was extremely loud and all his teammates heard me; I’m a rising junior and they still moan when I walk by. I’m still afraid to even walk into the soccer house. I’ve confronted a few boys once, but I want all of this harassment to stop once and for all. Plus, I’d really like to enter foot in the soccer house again. What should I do? P.S. I promise I’m not actually a whore…just a stupid drunken freshman mistake.
-Standing Up Finally

Dear Standing Up Finally,
   This whole situation just plain sucks. But let’s get some things straight here. You shouldn’t even have to be justifying your behavior. So what! You slept with him, had your fun, and just because it was good (hopefully) and you were loud, doesn’t mean that those guys should be jerks about it. I honestly feel that in order for you to move on from this, you’re going to have to accept that you shouldn’t be ashamed of what you did almost THREE years ago. I mean do those guys have nothing better to do? (Don’t answer that, we all know it’s a big fat NO). 

First and foremost, everyone should just mind their own business. The fact that you had to tell me that you’re not a whore is quite sad. Of course you’re not a “whore”! Hooking up isn’t and shouldn’t be labeled as a bad thing. And no one should ever shame you into feeling that it is, as long as you’re not pulling a Kristen Stewart, then I say go for it. Instead of casting judgment, those guys need to re-evaluate their priorites. The next time they moan when you’re around just give them a big smile. Don’t react to their taunts or give them the need to re-hash that night. If you really want in into that Soccer house, then I suggest you go.

Something that happened in the past, shouldn’t prevent you from what you want to do in the future. And you shouldn’t have to brand that red giant A with you everywhere you go, this isn’t The Scarlett Letter for christs sakes, and you are so not Hester Prynne! So like Emma Stone did in Easy A, (forgive my Nathaniel Hawthorne references) go into that Soccer house “not with a fizzle, but with a bang!” 

You Can Do It!

HCXO,
Annie

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.