This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As many of you have heard, the school is planning to expand the SRC (Student Recreation Center) into a larger facility to compensate for the growing number of students. UC Riverside is projected to have roughly 25,000 students by the end of 2014. With that many students and such a small gym, it would be like the wait line for the new iPad 3 to use a weight machine. There are much better things to do than wait at the SRC for an hour just to use the fifteen-pound dumbbells. Luckily, the expansion will include three times the amount of space for cardio and weight training. In addition, there will be an indoor swimming pool and spa. Instead of having our track and rock climbing outdoors, the new SRC will contain an indoor track and rock climbing area. One of the most exciting things that will be added to the SRC is the kitchen; this kitchen will be used for teaching students how to cook healthy meals. What is the point of going to the gym if you eat an unhealthy meal? This new accommodation will provide for students the perfect tools for a healthy lifestyle.

Many of you are probably wondering how will this affect you. Well, the SRC Expansion fee, which is mandatory whether you go to the SRC or not, will be $149 per quarter, but your tuition will not increase until after the completion. The projected date for completion is winter 2014.  The SRC will remain open during construction for gym rats to work out, which is one cause of the extended timeline in opening the new SRC. The expanded SRC will create 174 more student jobs.

Take a look at the pictures below to see how the old and outdated SRC will be transformed into the more contemporary design.

Photos by: Josephine George 

Monica Pena is a sophmore at the University of California Riverside and is originally from the valley of San Fernando in the city of Los Angeles. Monica and her room mate Nicole Danille Matinez both enjoy writing and are now Co founders of the UC Riverside Her Campus Branch. Monica dreams of moving to New York and going to Law School. Aside from Law school, she is a fanatic of fashion and writing and also wants to pursue a career in journalism.