This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

With 2020 quickly approaching, many of us are feeling nostalgic about the past few years. This past decade from 2010 to now has been a wild ride. So many things have changed– one of them being, music tastes. That’s why it is so fun to look at things like Spotify Wrapped 2019. 

(Photo by Wesley Tingey on Unsplash)

Spotify released plenty of information about 2019, both personal and global. Users get to see their top artists, songs, and genres of the year while also being able to view the top artists and songs in different global categories. For example, this year’s most streamed artist was Post Malone while Billie Eilish’s “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” made most streamed album. Also, Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello’s “Senorita” was the most streamed track of 2019. Even if you hate all of the most popular artists and tracks, you can’t deny the stats!

(Photo courtesy of Spotify)

One of my favorite features to look at was the “A Decade Wrapped” lists of the most streamed artists and songs throughout 2010 to now. The decade’s most streamed male artist was Drake and the female artist was Ariana Grande, who was coincidentally my top artist as well. Meanwhile, Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” was the decade’s most played track. 

There is a huge feeling of nostalgia for the 2010’s since that was most of our childhoods. While some people get annoyed looking through Spotify Wrapped screenshots on everyone’s instagram, I enjoy it. Spotify even makes personalized “Best of the Decade For You” playlists. As a throwback addict, I couldn’t wait to listen through all my personalized playlists. Looking back at how different things used to be, especially music, is always fun. 

(Photo by Anthony DELANOIX on Unsplash)

Music can show so much of our lives. There’s the times we blasted emo tracks when everything felt like it was crashing down. There’s the times we sang along to lovey-dovey R&B songs when we thought we found the one. There’s the times pretty much everyone made a throwback playlist to keep track of the memories from highschool and middle school. I, for one, appreciated all of the little information Spotify Wrapped 2019 provided, and I can’t wait to see what new songs and artists the next decade has in store. 

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.