Songs to Listen to For International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

International Women’s Day is a time for celebrating all women. Women with degrees, women with children, women without or with a uterus, trans-women, women of color, and so on. To me, this day helps me feel empowered through the unity of diversity among women and so many women celebrating. To celebrate this year’s day, here are some tunes you should definitely give a listen and feel flawless too!

Run the World (Girls) by Beyoncé

Hair Flip
Giphy

A dash of Beyoncé a day makes you slay. Beautiful and soft vocals that transform into deep and passionate questions are something Beyoncé does an excellent job at doing in this song. When I hear this song, I immediately see myself as a CEO, dancing around my office. She reminds us of the power we have throughout this whole song, but to feel extra empowered watch the 2011 Billboard performance of this song.

Like a Girl by Lizzo

Lizzo Hair Flip
Giphy

Lizzo is definitely a self-love and inter-sectional feminist icon. She sings about women being beautiful regardless of their choice to not wear or wear makeup, crying or fighting, and including those who feel like a girl but others might not see them as one. Lizzo challenges the duality of women but doesn’t pit them against each other. Instead, she sings about how you can be soft or strong, but regardless “if you feel like a girl then you’re real like a girl.” 

Q.U.E.E.N. by Janelle Monáe 

you are what you listen to
Unsplash

This song touches on broad topics like race, religion, and sexuality with a funky beat. She pushes against the cultural and religious norms, but at some moments she may still have those doubts of feeling like an outcast. However, by the end of the song she reminds listeners, “she who writes the movie owns the script and the sequel” so it’s up to us to decide our life choices and to live it authentically.

These are just a few of my favorites, but I hope you have a great day jamming out and feeling empowered!

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.