This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Everyone’s not-so-favorite time of year is here, end of the quarter-finals. Something that can help get through the stressful week is listening to music. I created a special “studying playlist” as I am getting ready to tackle the studying I am about to do. Here are some of the songs from my playlist that you might want to add to yours. 

eyeglasses with gray frames on the top of notebook
Photo by Dan Dimmock from Unsplash

Blue Dream by Jhené Aiko 

Jhené Aiko is one of my favorite artists because all her music is so calming. This song especially is very nice and peaceful to listen to as background music while reading. My mind typically wonders while I study, and sometimes I become distracted, but the soft beats that come with this song help me clear my mind and stay focused. 

willow by Taylor Swift 

I added this song to my study playlist because it is a soft song that does not have a loud bass to distract you. Taylor Swift sings with a neutral tone and the chorus is sung high-pitched that it’s almost as if she is whispering. The lyrics in this song are also catchy so I tend to sing along while solving math problems. 

Opened Paper Notebook
Photo by Marco Verch distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

angel by Kali Uchis 

Kali Uchis is a new artist that has been making music since 2014. You may know her song “telepatía” which is currently everyone’s favorite. I have this song in my study playlist because this song gives me the “pick-me-up” that I need after a long time of studying. Listening to this song makes me feel confident and with that confidence, I feel more motivated to get my work done. 

Good days by SZA

This is a current popular song that everyone is loving, and it has every right to be. Just like Jhené Aiko, SZA makes music that is also soulful, and this song is exactly that. It is so soothing to hear her sing and the lyrics in this song contain positive affirmations to help motivate you to keep working hard. 

Gray Study Dice on Table
Pixabay
 These are just some of the songs that are in my study playlist. I have other songs from artists like Ariana Grande, Mac Miller, and Harry Styles that have similar mellow soft songs to help me focus. If you do not have a study playlist yet, get to creating! 

Alyssa Monroy

UC Riverside '24

A cellular, molecular, and developmental biology major and public policy minor that loves science, beauty, and writing.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.