self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

Something Inspiring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Last week I told you a funny story that perhaps brought out a chuckle! This week, I have something just a little more inspiring and heartwarming and whatnot. Maybe it’ll inspire you to do the same, or maybe it’ll just remind you that not all humans are bad.

It’s about my mother. Living across the 99 cents store has made her become the store’s most avid fan, and I do mean most avid fan. She’s crazy for it. Everyday she goes early in the morning to check out what’s been restocked and goes nuts about all the new flavors of ice cream they brought in, or the bigger bags of chips they have finally decided to put on shelves. Everyday is a new product or a better version of the product they had the day before, and everyday she tells me all about her new purchases. The 99 was her favorite place, until the Coronavirus began to affect store policies, and drove people to do crazy things.

She was telling me how on a particular day, when the news first told people to stay inside, people went on a shopping spree for all kinds of things, and made sure they had those things in their shopping cart, or else. Well, as soon as she heard the news, she of course went to her trusty store across the street in order to supply herself with all the necessary items she needed to stay safe inside, but it was chaos at the store. Most of the shelves were out of her favorite foods and things she needed. She was lucky enough to buy some eggs and milk. 

Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

When she was ready to buy her items she waited in the long line along with everyone else. When it was finally her turn to pay, she set down her stuff and moved the items of the person in front of her so that her eggs wouldn’t fall off as they were teetering on the edge. The person turned around and was outraged. She didn’t want anyone touching her things because of the Coronavirus. She started to curse my mother out, but my mother didn’t understand her. 

She was deaf, but she read this woman’s lips and body language and knew she was upset. She knew the Coronavirus had everyone on edge, so she grabbed a notepad from her purse and wrote to the woman to have faith and to believe in God, that everything will be okay so long as you keep the faith and remain positive. The woman felt so bad, but enlightened. She realized how paranoid she had been and broke out in tears. She apologized and gave my mother a big ole hug and the people around them were all smiling. It’s times like these that we must realize that we must remain calm if we want to stay ahead of this situation. No matter what, we mustn’t lose faith. 

two woman sit in front of slatted doors. one is wrapping her arms around the other.
Hian Oliveira | Unsplash

Angela Mayorga

UC Riverside '22

Brown, Proud, and Down. Chicana writer with a lot to say! Check out my insta for more @angelswritetoo