Career

Scholarship Search: From Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This year has been a busy year for me in terms of applying to scholarships. I started becoming more serious in the scholarship search during July. I applied to at least one scholarship that month, then I applied for two more during August, and one more during October. In total, I applied to four scholarships and I got two rejections. Out of those I applied to, two of the three were on campus scholarships and it impacted my self-esteem quite a bit.

However, during the beginning of this fall quarter I received an email from the GRHCC (Greater Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce) saying I was selected as a finalist for their scholarship. I then received a follow-up congratulatory message about a week later. I cried in my kitchen because I was so excited and happy.

Photo by Riverside Economic Development

Fast forward to this week, I received a call from an unknown number. Luckily, I was with my sister and she was pushing me to pick it up. She answered the phone then handed it back to me. They told me they were from the Chicano Latino Alumni Association calling to congratulate me on being one of the eleven scholarship recipients. They then informed me about the scholarship event night and what the festivities would include. I was in total shock because I had just received the GRHCC scholarship and now this one! 

Applying for all of these scholarships took time and work. I had numerous letters of recommendation I had to ask for, statements of qualifications I had to write, and even a few cover letters to write. The best advice I can share about how I got these two is to apply for any scholarship you’re qualified for, make connections for your letters of recommendation, and have a strong sense of who you are.

Photo by UCR Events

Most importantly, never give up. Apply for as many as you can and don’t get discouraged. Also, apply again even if you get rejected the first time! This happened to me and it can show how determined you are to show you are a good candidate for the award. Additionally, if you are selected for scholarships, don’t let your humbleness erase your success. This is something I struggle with, but your accomplishments are something that should be shared with others instead of hidden.

Even if you do not receive a scholarship, congratulate yourself for trying in the first place. 

Photo by UX Studio 

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.