This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It has now been 2 years since I made the choice to go cruelty-free. During a very long summer break, I found myself binge-watching makeup tutorials on YouTube; it was during these binges that I noticed some beauty gurus mentioning cruelty-free as part of product descriptions. I did not know what cruelty-free meant, so I went and did some research and boy was I taken by surprise.

What Does Going Cruelty-Free Mean?

(Photo by Kevin Laminto on Unsplash)

Joining the cruelty-free community means that you only purchase products that are not tested on animals, bunnies are usually the most common used furry friend. Companies keep hundreds of animals in cages inside their labs and then test their ingredients and finished products on them. There’s plenty of pictures on the internet that show the harm done to these animals and for no reason really. There are plenty of brands and companies that do not test their ingredients or finished products on our furry friends, yet have high-quality products.

How to Go Cruelty-Free

(Photo by Shari Sirotnak on Unsplash)

It is easier than you would expect, especially because there are so many cruelty-free brands that you probably already love. I suggest going on your favorite brand’s webpage and checking their status, that can usually be found under their FAQ’s. Some pages that I use to check a brand’s status are Logical Harmony, CrueltyFreeKitty, and PETA. Another helpful clue to keep an eye out for is whether or not the actual product has any of the three certified cruelty-free logos (Photo by Nolisoli), they can usually be found on the back of the packaging or product. Going cruelty-free does not mean getting rid of all your non-cruelty-free products right away, you should use up all your products and then purchase an alternative one that does not test on animals. Also, there are some brands that claim to not test on animals, but there can be a catch! In China, it is the law that all products sold there must be tested on animals; so if a product has claimed that they are cruelty-free but sold in China, they are not cruelty-free. Some brand’s try to throw consumers off by saying they only test when required by law, this also means they are not cruelty-free.

Benefits of Going Cruelty-Free

The best thing about purchasing and investing in products that do not test on animals is that you help decrease the abuse animals go through in order to benefit humans. When applying your favorite lipstick or highlight, you know that no animals suffered in the production of it. Another perk that I found was that I was saving more money by eliminating the number of brands I shop from. Additionally, many indie brands such as Beauty Bakerie do not test on animals  so you’re helping small businesses grow and get recognition.

Some Cruelty-Free Brands

(Photo by Soli on Instagram)

These are a few brands that do not test on animals that I love:

Final Thoughts

They say beauty is pain, but that pain should not include our cute furry friends. It’s 2019, science has brought us new technology that can help save the planet and its inhabitants. At the end of the day animals are not the ones who wear makeup, so why should they have to endure the pain of our beauty? Going cruelty-free is the friendly way to go, you’re sending out a message to big brands that test on animals and pushing them to change their ways. You’re helping the environment and don’t have to feel guilty while glamming yourself up.

Araceli Martinez

UC Riverside '20

Hi, I'm a 4th-year Political Science Major with a minor in Labor Studies. My hope is to create relatable content that will help others feel empowered or that they are not alone.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.