The Riverside Local: The Salted Pig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Who am I? Born and pretty much raised in Riverside; my home is in Perris, however I attended Notre Dame High School in Riverside, and since I was a child my parents have worked at UCR. Riverside is where I was taught, where I played sports, went shopping, made friends, had first crushes, got my license—you get the coming-of-age picture. As a first year, without car or job or much money I spent my time exploring Riverside via the RTA buses and walking (yes, it can be done!). And yes, I’ve heard all the complaints of Riverside being boring and blah, blah, blah. And to be fair, I done my equal share of complaining, and sometimes I still do. Yet, there are things to do, places to see, adventures to be had! 

And now, with graduation and my departure of good ole’ Riverside looming, I’d like to share some of the places and events I’ve found over the years to make life here brilliant rather than dull. Visit some of these places and be open-minded. One of the most important thing I’ve learned is that wherever you are, your experience is what you make it… so make it damn good!

Also, I’m sure I don’t know all the great places in R-side so if you’ve any you like to share, leave comments!

-Violet

The Salted Pig

What is it: Restaurant, bar, gastropub

Location: 3700 12th St. Riverside, CA 92501

Price: It can be pricey, appetizers begin at $6, and entrée’s start around $10, small entrée’s can be slightly less.

For first timers: try the Pork Belly Sandwich, and/or ale battered dates (appetizer)

Back in October, my sister and I went for lunch in downtown. We had heard good things about, but had never been to this pork-enthusiast restaurant called ‘The Salted Pig’. Described as a “gastropub” the venue is warmly inviting; with rich wood tables, metal chairs, chalkboard specials along the exposed brick walls, and a seated bar in the front. Immediately, we were taken in by the place—from the casually cool servers (rather than the harried workers at say, Applebees) and the banter shared between frequenters of this establishment.

[Side note, this picture below isn’t of me or my sister–just some happy customers’ picture I found via the internet!]

After asking, the waitress suggested the favorite and most common entrée for first-timers, the pork belly sandwich. Now, the Salted Pig continually changes their menus and the ingredients, but the basis of this sandwich was toasted bread, pork belly, brown sugar dressing, and ours this time had strawberries on it. The strawberries threw me because I would never have combined pork and strawberries because it is an odd combination, and because you will almost never find me cooking. But the effect was excellent, and along with a Strawberry lambic I’d ordered, the meal was infatuating! I eagerly jump at the chance to eat here, and with all the items I have tried, I have yet to be even slightly disappointed.

The Salted Pig reminds me of pubs I frequented last year studying abroad in London, so for me the cozy friendly atmosphere, the dark wood and brick stone décor reminds me of something I’d only experienced in England. I also really appreciate the way the owners, Ronaldo and Sheena Fierro and the workers, put pride and care into their restaurant. It’s clear their establishment is about the community it creates over great-tasting pork and beer.

The Salted Pig is one of the best places in Downtown to have a delicious dinner or lunch, perhaps before seeing a show at the Fox Theater or going strolling along the mall decorated with antique shops. It can be costly, and I know we’re all on student budgets here, but it is most definitely worth the cost.

For more information, visit the Salted Pig’s Website: http://www.saltedpigriverside.com

Pictures Courtesy: The Salted Pig Facebook, Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Salted-Pig/145527572145922?fref=ts