This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

If you’re on the quarter system like me, you might be in the middle of registering for your classes. Although there are numerous ways to get the perfect schedule for the quarter (or not, depending on your time ticket), here are a few tips that have helped make the registration process a breeze for me.

Know your school’s academic schedule

Most universities make this information readily available on their websites. If you google “[your university] academic calendar”, you should be able to find when class lists go up, when enrollment appointments are available, and when you can expect to register. When you can get access to your time ticket for registration as well, make sure you set that date in your calendar.

Take advantage of term planning

Once you’re aware of what classes are being offered next quarter, take the time to look at the classes you need (or want!) to take before you graduate. If you have a set time limit within which you want to graduate, make sure that you tackle those classes first and foremost, especially if they are being offered in the quarter/semester you’re registering for. Plus, most registration software lets you upload your term plan while registering for a quick and easy experience. Your future self will thank you!

Don’t be afraid to shift things around

Whether the class you wanted to take filled up, or you found out that professor is teaching and you’re no longer interested, registration mishaps happen all the time. However, the joy of registration time is that you can change around and drop classes as much as you like until your ticket closes. So feel free to shift that schedule around while you still can.

Be smart with scheduling

I’m the person who always ends up with two classes 10 minutes apart on other sides of campus – mostly because the classes I need often end up like that. If you’d rather not get your exercise in sprinting between classes, if possible, leave yourself gaps in your schedule between classes and discussions so you have ample time to get to class, ask professors questions after lecture, or grab a snack.

Don’t overdo it

Just because you get the option to take 20 units a quarter doesn’t mean you have to. If even four classes feels like too much, don’t hesitate to take a few less units than usual if it gives you more peace. It can be fun to max out that unit requirement every quarter – I’ve done it more than I care to admit – but if your schedule looks overwhelming before you even get the chance to live it, don’t sweat taking a course or two less if it’s feasible for you and your goals.

Whatever courses you plan to take, I hope that these tips, though basic, will help you focus on intentionally planning your schedule for the following quarter or semester.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.