The Pros and Cons of Being One of the Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Relating to the opposite sex can sometimes be an area of trouble for girls. However there are some girls who walk this earth so comfortable around the guys. These “guys girls” have no trouble talking about sports, playing video games and just chilling with the fellas! But it isn’t all fist pumps and cool handshakes… there are pros and cons that come with the territory as one of the guys.

Pro: No Drama.

The best part about hanging out with guys is that they are drama free. All you have to worry about is having a good time. 

Con: You no longer appear as a female specimen.

Once you get into the territory of a “guys girl”, the boys that you hang out with will no longer see you as a female. This area gets a little tricky if you are looking for a relationship with these said guy friends. If this is case, be careful of the lines you are crossing or you will forever be friend zoned.

Pro: Boys can be strong and intimidating.

Alright, I know we are in the century where women can protect themselves and are very capable kicking butt if need be, but sometimes it’s not so bad having a good guy friend walk you to your car when its late at night or when you don’t want to dance with creepy guys at the club.

Con: You might have to listen to bro talk.

When hanging out with multiple dudes, you might have to listen to random nonsense that only bros can understand. It’s all part of the process but once you get used to the random conversations, you’ll learn to tune it out and endure it.

Pro: Get more perspective.

If you get to the point where you feel comfortable being one of the guys and you start to become close friends with the opposite sex, you can start asking your guy friends the male point of view rather than solely taking the advice of your girls.

Nevertheless, guy world is not that intimidating. For girls who are a little more shy when it comes to the male specimen, there is no need to worry. All you have to do is be confident and more importantly BE YOUR FABULOUS SELF!

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside