Culture > News

A Precious Moment Captured before Notre Dame Burned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The fire that engulfed the roof and collapsed the spire of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France has been a hot topic over the last week.

The 865 year old gothic structure was built between the 12th and 14th centuries. It represents the official seat of the Archbishop of Paris. Over time, it has become a significant monument for Catholics around the world.

The Cathedral houses a plethora of ancient relics and priceless art including the crown of thorns presumably worn by Jesus Christ and St. Lois’s tunic, both of which were saved from the devastating flames.

Not only is the Notre Dame an integral part of France’s history, it is an important tourist spot, attracting approximately 14 million visitors a year. One hour before the incident occured, American tourist Brooke Windsor captured a precious moment between a father and his daughter in front of the Notre Dame.

The photo gained hoards of international media attention when she posted it via Twitter in hopes of finding the family.

“I took this photo as we were leaving #NotreDame about an hour before it caught on fire. I almost went up to the dad and asked if he wanted it. Now I wish I had, Twitter if you have any magic, help him find this.” –@brookeawindsor

(Photo by Samantha Park)

(Photo by @brookeawindsor on Twitter)

As the photo reached major media circuits such as CBS and ABC News, the family was notified. The man reached out to Brooke, thanking her for the “beautiful photo” but asked to remain anonymous.

(Photo by Samantha Park)

It is moving that the world could come together to find this family, especially in the wake of such tragedy.

Samantha Park

UC Riverside '22

Poet || Writer || Editor Find me somewhere drinking coffee and reading Sylvia Plath
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.