This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Have you ever seen a beautifully melanated black queen and wondered how her twist out look so perfect and how she did it?? Well, I am going to show you how to do the perfect twist out, using my favorite natural hair products:

Step One: Wash Your Hair

(photo by Ruslan Dashinsky/Getty Images)

My favorite shampoo is from Cantu’s: Cleansing cream shampoo. I wash my hair about twice.

Step Two: Deep Condition

(photo by Thermal Hair Care)

My favorite deep conditioner is Creme of Nature’s:  Intense conditioner treatment or Eden’s: Natural Hair Masque Treatment. The way I deep condition my hair into 4 parts, then I seperate each one of those four parts into another four sections and start to rub in the deep conditioner. After finishing, I let it sit in my hair, and put a shower cap on it for about 45 minutes, then I rinse it out.

Step Three: L.O.C

(photo by NaturallyCurlys)

Leave In:

My favorite leave-in conditioner is Cantu’s: Leave-In Conditioner Repair Cream. Separate your hair into sections, and depending on how defined you want the twist to be is how big or small, your sections will be. I like to follow the LOC method. So I first add in the leave in conditioner.

OIL!!!!!:

The next letter in LOC, is O, and that stands for oil. This is the most important part because oil is what keeps your hair healthy and moisturized. It important you find the right oil. My favorite oil is African Pride: Maximum Strengthening Growth Oil. (It smells good too!) I add that into my sectioned twist to make sure that they stay hydrated.

Twisting or Curling Gel:

The last step is important, product wise. The C, in LOC, stands for Cream. If you don’t have the right gel or cream, your twist might not come out the way you want them to. My favorite is Cantu’s: Moisturizing Twist and Lock Gel. This product works the best for my 4c hair and really keeps the curls in place when I take my twist out.

Step Four: Twist and let them dry

(photo by KinkyCurlyBeauty)

This part is probably the most important. You HAVE to keep the twists in until they are dry or else you will be disappointed. No, two hours is not enough. It will be in for a couple hours sis. MIght as well just sleep in them, and go on with your day the next day, rocking them.

Step Five: Take them out and Rock Those Curls

(photo by Natural Hair Mag)

Finally, it is time for you to undo them. Make sure you are not rushing through, or you can ruin the natural way your curls fall. You can separate each twist more, so you can add more volume to your hair. But finally, this process is done and you can go and be great with your beautiful natural hair.

Hey! My name is Jessica Bayliss and I am a 3rd year at UC Riverside. I am studying Public Policy in hopes to become a policy analyst after graduating. I love watching Netflix and hanging with friends in my free time.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.