The “Party of Five” Reboot Has Arrived

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Freeform has recently launched a new revival of the 90’s show “Party of Five.” If you haven’t seen the original before it shows the life of five siblings, the Salingers, who have to learn how to deal with everyday life after their parents die in a car crash. The siblings range from the oldest 24-year-old left in charge to their one-year-old baby brother. The show aired in 1994 and went on for six seasons. 

(Photo courtesy of Columbia Pictures) 

The reboot has a similar premise but with a twist: the five siblings of the Acosta family are left to take care of themselves and the family restaurant after their parents are deported for being illegal immigrants. Since the trailer premiered in late November, I have been so excited to see the full first season. 

The show is available to watch on both Freeform, on TV, and Hulu online. So far, there have been three episodes released and I am hooked. The pilot dove straight into the story, getting me quickly invested in all of the characters. By the end of it, where we see Mr. and Mrs. Acosta being forcibly deported to Mexico, I was bawling my eyes out. 

Personally, I think Mrs. Acosta (Name of actress) is the best actress in the show. She carries a lot of the show’s emotional weight and portrays the most accurate depiction of her role, so much so that she reminds me of my own mom. In the first episode, the scene of her leaving the baby with the other siblings and having to say goodbye was so heart-wrenching. And in the second episode, the moment she shares with Emilio telling him about the money she saved for him behind his dad’s back was truly moving. 

(Photo courtesy of Freeform)

Of the siblings, I’m a fan of Beto and Valentina. I really want to like Emilio because he has a huge role and responsibility in the show, however, I feel like his acting is not as convincing. Similarly with Lucia, I think the writers were a little lazy with her role making her a stereotypical teenager but still her anger is more impactful than Emilio’s complacency. I appreciate Beto being a rounded character who feels the stress of his parents’ departure but also strives to take care of his little sister, Val, and keep his parents’ restaurant afloat despite also struggling with school. His character is doing the absolute most, while Emilio and Lucia are a bit frustrating to watch. Valentina’s acting is also so entertaining and touching to watch, especially at her young age. Nonetheless, the differing family dynamics are realistic and relatable. It is easy to care and feel for the Acostas during their heartbreaking separation. 

(Photo courtesy of Freeform) 

The show’s twist of deportation adds a lot of refreshing importance to it. The way everyone reacts to the Acosta siblings after their parents leave sends meaningful messages that are currently needed today. In the second episode, I was shocked when Ms. Mateluna, Beto’s physics teacher, reprimands Lucia and tells her that her family struggles are her family’s fault for being illegal as compared to Mateluna who is legal. I would never have expected this reaction however it opened my eyes to how different people’s beliefs and understandings truly are. 

I believe this show will be making big strides and can help provide more awareness to families who are struggling to mass ICE arrests, deportations, and family separations. TV is a place for entertainment but also for a place to gain information;having shows like this out there easily accessible can help create change in so many ways.

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.