This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Having pets is nothing new to me and my family, but when my little brother mentioned wanting a parakeet I was taken aback. We’ve only taken care of dogs, fish, and turtles, so we all did some research along the way. Since my little brother was the one who would be the main person in charge of the birds, he did the most research to show our parents he would be able to actually take care of them. He watched so many YouTube videos that dealt with body language, taming, cages, and so on.

It took him about a month of research and convincing my parents to let him get the bird. We found out that parakeets are social animals, so it isn’t best if they are left alone. Because of this, my parents were fine with getting him two birds.

We finally headed down to a local store and noticed they didn’t have as many parakeets as usual. This was after the New Year, so we thought maybe people were like us and wanting to get a new pet for the New Year. There were three parakeets left and they were all girls. Two of them were extremely active while the other was kicking back on the perch. We watched them for about twenty minutes, trying to distinguish them from each other since they were all blue and white. We found out two of them had “sunglasses” around their eyes and the other didn’t. We decided to get one with and without the black around their eyes.

Right away, the quiet bird who was staying on the perch started to tweet and fly around. So, instead of leaving with two birds, we ended up taking all three of them. The girls were pretty quiet the first few hours when they were home since they were getting readjusted. We started to play some music, specifically Prince, then they got a little more comfortable.

Now that brings us to today. We currently have four birds, since my dad wanted there to be a boy. We can also tell them apart now. There’s Julia, Jenny, Janice, and Jack.

I really like to have the birds because they’re personable, liven up our house, and they’re so entertaining. I love to dance and sing with them too! Having them also makes my brother more responsible since he knows that he has something to take care of.

If you do decide to get a parakeet, I would tell you they’re worth it. Just make sure to have a big enough cage for them, lots of love, and a partner for them to hang out with. Plus, be ready to explore what kind of music they like so you can jam out with them!

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.