This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we no longer only have the physical virus to worry about, but also our mental health and work ethic. This pandemic has brought much uncertainty to routines and losses to many families. With everything going on in the world, the loss of family members piled along with school work has all added up for me. Lately, I felt so unmotivated to do my work and I began to blame it on the lateness of the quarter we’re moving into. Usually, the last part of the quarter is a stressful time on its own, but I decided to do some research on why it has more of an intense effect.

woman lying in white bed
Photo by Yuris Alhumaydy from Unsplash
Psychologist Justin Ross explains in this article that COVID is bringing anxiety, sadness, and fatigue along with the virus itself. It definitely makes sense because ever since I returned home back in March, life has felt like a rollercoaster of emotions. I want to graduate, but at the same time, I’m trying to put my effort into clubs and extracurriculars. However, this makes me feel guilty for not spending time with my family and it creates a never-ending cycle of doing my own, feeling guilty, and repeating.

bored woman looking out the window
Photo by Joshua Rawson-Harris from Unsplash
It’s really hard with school work mainly because I’m so close to graduating, yet I feel so burnt out. Then there is the possibility of going to graduate school and doing more school once I graduate.

I feel as if the biggest thing that has helped me is just accepting the bad. I tend to have a very optimistic view, but I learned toxic positivity is a real thing I am terribly guilty of. Instead of trying to be always positive and looking for the brighter side of things, I try to be realistic and understand sometimes it’s okay to just get through the day and exist instead of hoping for the best possible outcome. I try to apply this to school work. Sometimes I have an entire day planned to study and I won’t, but I try to remind myself that I will get everything done eventually and I will pass my classes. It just takes some affirmations and a little reality check for me to get back on track.

Woman Sitting on Chair While Leaning on Laptop
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
However, it helps knowing I’m not the only student who is feeling the weight of the world on their shoulders right now. And reminiscing of campus life pre-COVID.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.