This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When I’m asked to describe the 60s era of music in simple terms, I stumble a bit because of its experimental nature and blend of numerous different groundbreaking artists. The 60s scene was filled with counterculture inspiration, and I define it as a time period that had a beautiful explosion of sounds. These are some of my essential 60s albums that heavily influenced my love for music. 

The Mamas & The Papas, If You Can Believe Your Eyes & Ears (1966)

Driving down the PCH? You can’t without blasting “California Dreamin’”. You just can’t.  The strong vocals on “Go Where You Wanna Go” (my favorite track) are to die for and catchy. The Mamas & The Papas are my favorite group from the 60s and this pop rock album is a MUST if you’re looking to get into this scene.

Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow (1967) 

When it comes to psychedelic rock in the 60s, Surrealistic Pillow does just that. Grace Slick’s voice powers through especially on “Somebody to Love,” and the very trippy and eerie “White Rabbit.” It is a classic staple to the San Francisco music scene. 

The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

Ah, yes. The popular Andy Warhol banana album. Need I say more? Some say this record is overrated and some say it’s the best. I, for one, consider this one of my all time favorite albums ever and I think this pivoted the way for art rock and glam rock. Lou Reed’s voice and Nico’s melancholic tone just do something to me. 

The Beatles, Revolver (1966)

Asking someone to choose their favorite Beatles album should be a crime because how does one choose from their entire discography? I love Revolver due to its mixture of somber tones like “Eleanor Rigby” and “I’m Only Sleeping”, and its loudness on “She Said She Said.” I think this album is a great balance of their overall sound as a group. It’s also a great preceder and set up to the legendary Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Beach Boys, Surfin’ USA (1963)

It would not be the 60s without surf music! I love the Beach Boys so much because they just make me think of summer and good times all around.  

The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds (1966)

Yes, Beach Boys again…I cannot even begin to describe this beautifully orchestrated album. Pet Sounds was a definitive turning point in The Beach Boys’ career. This album shows their switch up from surfing and the classic California sound to layered vocals with strings swaying in from left to right. This album makes me think of weddings for some reason. Brian Wilson definitely got into his hopeless romantic side for this one. 

The Byrds, Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965)

Possibly one of the most iconic intros to an album is on Turn!Turn!Turn! with its self-titled beautiful song “Turn ! Turn ! Turn! (To Everything There is a Season)”. The Byrds along with The Mamas & The Papas are some of the defining folk-rock artists from Laurel Canyon and the use of the Rickenbacker 12-String in this record ties it all together. 

Shocking Blue, At Home (1969)

If you’ve ever seen the Venus razor commercial, their top song will be no surprise to you. Shocking Blue is definitely a more underrated 60s, early 70s band in my opinion. Oh, and if you know Nirvana’s “Love Buzz,” it’s from this great album right here! 

Narrowing down the complexity of the 60s into just a few albums is quite the challenge.This list doesn’t even amount to the vastness of what else this groundbreaking time period in music had to offer. These albums are only a slice of my love for this scene and if you’d like to find even more, check out my 60s playlist here that has all of these and more!

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.