This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This past winter, I decided to get a coffee machine that would allow me to create some of the best coffee at home. I was originally very skeptical about buying a coffee maker since I wasn’t sure if I would actually use it and they were all very expensive. Apart from that, I had previously taken a class on coffee and was focused on learning about sustainable coffee production. Finally, my mom made the decision for me and gifted me the Nespresso Vertuo machine. This was one of the best coffee machines for me since it was from a brand that was focusing on implementing much more sustainable methods and it offered many different things to make my cup of coffee better and easier to get.

person reading poetry books next to tea and flowers
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

It is working toward becoming a sustainable brand  

While taking a class on coffee last quarter, I was able to learn about the coffee production system and how it affects the livelihood of farmers (especially those in underdeveloped countries). This is when I decided that I wanted to buy coffee from brands that worked with and helped farmers make a profit from the coffee, as well as help them grow it since many of the resources that coffee producers need are either too expensive or they just don’t know about them. Nespresso has been working with many small farmers and creating different programs that farmers can work with to help their production. Not only is the brand helping those that produce the coffee, but they also made 54% of the Vertuo Machine out of recycled plastic. The capsules (coffee pods) used to make the coffee for the machine are also recyclable.

Message board with funny motto and cup of coffee
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
The machine is very simple to use 

I was surprised at how easily I could make my coffee because of the technology in the machine. It has a brewing system that reads the barcodes on each of the capsules used to create the coffee and automatically adjusts to the setting of the capsule that is being used. On my end, all I have to do is fill up the water tank, insert the capsule into the head of the machine, push it down and press the button on top and my coffee starts brewing to whatever type of capsule I inserted.

white ceramic mug on table
Photo by Danielle MacInnes from Unsplash

It allows for different types of coffee and cup sizes

The benefit of this machine is that it doesn’t just create one size of coffee, but rather offers different sizes one can choose from Alto XL  (14 oz.), coffee (7.77oz), expresso (1.35 oz), double espresso  (2.7 oz), and gran lungo  (5 oz). This makes it easier to choose how much coffee I would like to have that day. Additionally, these different coffee sizes each have different variations of coffee flavors, how strong the roast of the coffee is, and the type of coffee used to make the capsule.

These aspects have been my favorite part of my coffee machine and I tend to use them every other day. I usually make myself either an espresso, double espresso, or a grand lungo either to make an iced caramel macchiato or a vanilla latte It takes about 10 minutes at the most with cleaning and adding the necessary ingredients to my coffee. And after I can just enjoy my coffee either while listening to lectures or doing my homework. I would definitely recommend getting this machine if you’re a coffee lover.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.