This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Now that the Fall 2020 quarter has come to an end, I’ve had some time to digest how my second quarter of online college has gone. To sum it up into simple terms, it was rough. 

It’s been a given that distance learning has been a complete mess and has been highly unmotivating for many students. Since the beginning of quarantine, I’ve felt mentally exhausted trying to keep up with the hundreds of things going on at once in the world, alongside being in isolation and stuck at home. Thus, my classes were usually the last thing on my mind and,  at times, I often forgot that I was still in school. I went into my fall quarter with high hopes, thinking that it wouldn’t be too bad, but instead, my motivation lessened with each day that passed. 

Bed with laptop
Photo by Christina Chauskina from Unsplash

The main thing that I have taken away from this virtual learning experience is learning to have better time management. Most of the work I was given during this quarter was very independent based, and I had to figure out my own schedule to complete my assignments. As someone who gets easily distracted by the smallest things, I found myself not really paying attention or really grasping any material learning through a screen. It felt as if I was just simply turning in an assignment that I didn’t even fully comprehend.

Thankfully, I was provided with some of the best and most understanding professors for this quarter who genuinely cared for each and every one of their students’ well-being. Each, except one, professor had weekly check-up emails and consistently reassured us that they understand that online classes are not the best and sympathized with us. On the other hand, some professors see this as an opportunity to increase the workload for students which really shows how inconsiderate some teachers are. Having caring and flexible professors during the midst of this pandemic has been helpful and the main encouraging factor for me that led me to be able to finish this quarter strong. 

Photo by Gabriel Benois on Unsplash
Sure, it’s been cool to be able to wake up at our own time if we have asynchronous classes, and it is pretty nice to be able to attend our classes straight from our comfy bed. However, I yearn for the days back when I would stroll along campus with my headphones in and see everyone’s faces and interactions. Unfortunately, this has become our new normal as my winter quarter will also be online. To say the least, I’m definitely not looking forward to it and am anxious to see if I will have any motivation within me left for a third quarter on Zoom. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.