This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Along with the many changes that we had to endure amidst the pandemic, the movie industry was significantly impacted by the spread of COVID-19. An endless number of movies that were scheduled for release in 2020 were pushed back, and most of their new release dates are still pending and could change at any time. I truly miss the joy of going to a movie theater, getting some popcorn, and being transported into another world in the middle of a dimly lit theater. Being able to watch new movies is one of those typical, mundane actions that I never realized I took for granted until the moment it was taken away.

With that being said, movies have also definitely been one of my comforts throughout the past year. I watch them at home when I need to get away from life for a few hours. They can always ground me when I’m feeling down or when I need an escape. Some newer films have been released on demand over the past few months and, as film studios are carefully planning out the future of film releases, a few upcoming movies have rescheduled release dates that are set for the end of the year. The following list is comprised of some of my most anticipated film releases that are supposed to come out in the near future. Their release dates might fluctuate, but I’m still incredibly excited to finally get a chance to see any of these films.

Candyman

I may or may not have let out a high-pitched squeal when I saw the trailer for this movie. Candyman is a remake of the 1992 supernatural, folklore-inspired horror film of the same name. It’s directed by Nia DaCosta and it was co-written and co-produced by Jordan Peele. So, in other words, it’s going to be an insanely brilliant horror film and I am *so* excited about it. The current release date for this film is August 27th, 2021.

A Quiet Place Part II

A Quiet Place Part II is the sequel to 2018’s A Quiet Place. The first film in this series was one of my absolute favorites and I still rave about it. John Krasinski and Emily Blunt star together in these dystopian horror films that are set in a post-apocalyptic world. The reviews for this sequel were all incredibly positive before the film was eventually pushed to a 2021 release date. It’s now set to be released on September 17th, 2021.

Cruella

My taste in films ranges quite drastically, which is fairly obvious as we venture from horror into the realm of Disney. The trailer for this movie just came out a couple of days ago and it looks exquisite. Emma Stone portrays the starring role of Cruella de Vil in this film about Cruella’s rise to villainy. The movie’s release date is May 28th, 2021 and I am so excited to finally see it. 

The Woman in the Window

Book-to-movie adaptations are always on my radar and I’ve been waiting for this film since I read the book a few years ago. The Woman in the Window is a thriller based on the novel of the same name. It stars Amy Adams as a woman who grapples with the fact that she thinks she has witnessed a crime occur in her neighbor’s home. This film was pushed back to a 2021 release date and it’s now scheduled to be distributed by Netflix at some point this year.

Black Widow

I obviously had to include a Marvel film on this list. The trailer for Black Widow looked absolutely incredible and I was so sad when the release date changed. Starring Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh, this film is set in the midst of the Marvel cinematic universe timeline and it follows Natasha Romanoff as she faces her past. Its current release date is May 7th, 2021.

These films are just a handful of the movies that I can’t wait to watch. Whether I’m able to watch these movies safely in a theater or at home in my living room, I know that I’m going to absolutely enjoy and love all of them. The ability to use these pieces of media as a temporary respite from everything happening in the world is something that I cherish deeply, and I’m certainly never going to take it for granted ever again.

Courtney Wells

UC Riverside '22

Courtney is an undergrad at UC Riverside with a major in Sociology and a minor in Feminist Studies. She is passionate about social justice, intersectional feminism, and political activism. She is a lover of reading, iced tea, dad jokes, scary movies, cheese fries, and Taylor Swift. She can usually be found rewatching Pride and Prejudice (2005) with her cats.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.