This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As I reflect on the one-year anniversary of quarantining coming up, I think about how many things have changed compared to March 2020. One of those things is my taste in music. I was obsessed with k-pop around this time last year, but the plethora of scandals in the music industry at the time left me skeptical and a bit uneasy to continue listening. So, I ended up taking a break to start listening to other genres. Since then, I’ve enjoyed listening to primarily indie pop/pop/with some alternative and R&B thrown in there. Here are some of my current favorites!

Listening to boombox
Photo by Eric Nopanen from Upsplash

1. “Feel Good Inc” by The Gorillaz

There’s something about a catchy bass line at the beginning of a song that always gets me hooked on it automatically. Even though this song was released in 2005, it still remains at the top of my playlist as a song that I will always be in the mood for. This could also be because of how I used to hear this song all the time as a little kid. Either way, The Gorillaz is known to incorporate different genres of music into their songs which I believe is the reason why listening to “Feel Good Inc” is like a breath of fresh air. 

1. “Cherry” by Rina Sawayama 

Since the release of her debut album last year, Rina Sawayama has become a well-known name in the pop music scene. I truly believe that this song is filled with endorphins because it lightens my mood automatically whenever I listen to it. Maybe it’s because of the emotional topic regarding sexuality that “Cherry” tackles or maybe it’s because of Sawayama’s powerful vocals that charge in at the chorus. But, much like “Feel Good Inc,” “Cherry” is a great pick-me-up song that is definitely “sing-out-loud-in-the-middle-of-the-night” worthy.

1. “Madness” by Muse 

I wasn’t a huge fan of rock music until I discovered this particular song by the British rock band Muse. But listening to this song is an experience in itself. And the bridge of the song is amazing, to say the least. Compared to “Cherry” and “Feel Good Inc,” there’s certainly a somber undertone attached to “Madness,” but that doesn’t mean I won’t belt it out at the top of my lungs. 

1. Stargazing by The Neighbourhood

What playlist of mine isn’t complete without The Neighbourhood? This song feels like a dream to listen to. Something about lead singer Jesse Rutherford’s vocals throughout the song accompanied with yet another catchy bass line just makes this song so fun to listen to. It’s also a perfect song for me, someone who enjoys stargazing. 

1. “Selene” by NIKI

I recently started listening to NIKI from a friend’s recommendation, and while I’m in love with most of her discography, this song stands out among all of them. This R&B track accompanied with NIKI’s breathy vocals (and her amazing range that you can definitely hear throughout the entire song) keeps this song rent-free in my head for days. And as someone who typically listens to indie pop and regular pop, it has been a while since an R&B song has been stuck in my head for that long. 

Overall, I’ve really enjoyed listening to new music throughout quarantine. A part of me wonders how different my taste in music will be next year, as “March 2020” me would certainly be surprised to see this list. But I hope that my recommendations are able to help you out in listening to new music genres!

Angelin Simon

UC Riverside '24

Angelin is currently pursuing a B.S. in Neuroscience at UC Riverside. In her free time, she enjoys taking long naps, stargazing, and painting.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.