My Experience Using Oracle Cards Every Day For A Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

You might not be as familiar with oracle cards, but you’ve probably heard of their close cousin: Tarot cards. The difference between oracle and Tarot decks is that most Tarot decks are versions of the same structure set by the original Rider-Waite deck. Tarot usually consists of 78 cards with four suits and standardized meanings understood for each individual card. Oracle cards, however, can be known as any other kind of spiritual deck so they are less structured, more up to interpretation, and easier to begin with. Since there is no distinguished theme or number of cards, there are plenty of varying kinds. One Etsy search can lead you to oracle decks focused on positive affirmations, the moon, love, etc. 

two women in hijabs reading
Photo by Gabby K from Pexels
Back in February, my Mom gifted me a deck of oracle cards from the store Earthbound. This specific set is called the “Believe In Your Own Magic Oracle Deck” by poet Amanda Lovelace. Though the best way to choose your own oracle deck is to pick based on your own intuition, I still felt called by these cards since I’ve actually been focusing more on affirmations, woman empowerment, and writing poetry recently. I hadn’t known anything about oracle cards before I started but thankfully this pack was especially intended for beginners and offered a lot of information in the booklet that came with it. Basically, the overarching idea of using oracle cards is that you are drawn to a specific card through your intuition and can thus interpret that card in any way it helps you. 

white flowers in vase on bedside table
Photo by Annie Spratt from Unsplash
I began to sit down every morning, think of a question to ask, then shuffle and pull a card to help guide my day. As the booklet suggested, I would usually ask “what message does the universe have for me today?” or something more specific if I had something on my mind. The first day I pulled one, I was outside and a single card actually flew out at me. Each day after that, I would simply shuffle until a card fell out or flipped over. There are many different ways of pulling your cards or asking your daily questions though, which makes the experience so unique, personalized, and intuitive for everyone— you have to do whatever feels right for you. For me, reading a card every morning felt good. I was able to set the tone of the day with an empowering message and think back to it as I went. Having this guidance has definitely helped me feel more in tune with my intuition and also more intentional with my actions. I struggled with wanting to know the exact meaning of each card at first but the more I pulled, the more I could rely on my own interpretations of how it related to me.

coffee, book and candle set by the window with a pillow
Photo by Alisa Anton from Unsplash
When I did ask specific questions like “what guidance do you have for me about ____?” I felt really reassured with the answers I got through the cards. I started to keep track of all my questions and answers to then see retrospectively how they helped me. Of course, the interpretation was all up to me which made me feel more comfortable asking questions because I knew no matter what, whether I chose to follow the advice or not was my decision. Since you aren’t supposed to ask “yes” or “no” questions when pulling cards I actually felt more in control asking about the general aspects of my life because I don’t think anyone would want to receive an ominous, strict “yes” or “no” anyway. Using this deck wouldn’t solve my problems, but each answer challenged me to think of the situation I was worried about in a new light. 

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.